Enter dimensions on the fly while sketching

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
caretech

Enter dimensions on the fly while sketching

Post by caretech »

New forum user here, but not brand new to FreeCAD. I'm ecstatic this project exists at all, especially in a world where pretty much all other CAD vendors are moving to cloud-based, subscription-only models.

I browsed the UX threads a while and didn't find anyone else mentioning what I first think of that could be improved every time I use FreeCAD. Almost all other CAD solutions allow you to type in constraint dimensions while adding a shape. For example, when creating a rectangle, just click... then type in the horizontal dimension, TAB, and enter vertical dimension. Press Enter to commit. I was going to attach a little screen clip but the forum isn't allowing me to upload.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Enter dimensions on the fly while sketching

Post by Shalmeneser »

caretech wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:57 pm For example, when creating a rectangle, just click... then type in the horizontal dimension, TAB, and enter vertical dimension.
Press Enter to commit.
In FC Part or PartDesign wb, it works like that : select action then give values.

In FC Sketcher wb, drawing the form and setting constraints are two different actions.
For me, I don't want to directly dimension after drawing, because I will modify it cutting or adding other forms in the same sketch.
And you cannot add dimensions for each forms because some forms create multiple dimensions.

Your idea is just for very simple and unique forms. Not common in real sketches.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It seems intriguing to dimension immediately, but I am against it because it asks for badly constraint sketches with possibly many more dimensions than finally required.
I know that you don't have to use this feature, but once it is there especially newbies will use it and get used to it. So please no; we see enough bad sketches here.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
caretech

Post by caretech »

Shalmeneser wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:26 pm Your idea is just for very simple and unique forms. Not common in real sketches.
Hope it's not against protocol to mention other names here. You might not understand what I mean. Ever tried sketching in Fusion 360? I'd like to see this smoothness brought to FCAD.

You do not need to enter any numbers in the text field(s) that pop up right next to the shape, line, or arc you're adding to the sketch; you're free to constrain them later by other means. But if you already know exactly what size something must be, it's the slickest way to get there.

I took a short screencast to demonstrate but can not upload it (HTTP Error 500 when I try).

The same philosophy applies to other areas as well. Doing sheet metal in FCAD: (1) add a flange, (2) select it, (3) head over to the left properties pane to edit length, angle, etc. In F360: (1) add a flange and enter length desired right there, Tab on to the angle, enter that immediately, etc. All done right out in the main part area, no need to go edit parameters off the side unless change is desired later.
Last edited by caretech on Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

caretech wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:57 pm Almost all other CAD solutions allow you to type in constraint dimensions while adding a shape.
This is in fact not true and chrisb explaind why this is bad practice.

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

caretech wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 12:10 am I took a short screencast to demonstrate but can not upload it (HTTP Error 500 when I try).
No screencast needed. This was discussed here before with links showing how it works.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

caretech wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 9:57 pm ...Almost all other CAD solutions allow you to type in constraint dimensions while adding a shape. For example, when creating a rectangle, just click... then type in the horizontal dimension, TAB, and enter vertical dimension. Press Enter to commit...
I fully agree caretech, this is the sort of functionality i would love to see implemented. I have no idea why chrisb and user1234 are so against even having the option to do this. It would speed up sketching a lot for sure.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Did you ever construct anything else then a box or straight shaft? If not, it would be OK, but most users do more than that, It is a CAD program, not a tinkering tool. Pretty every CAD with a Sketcher with an solver act like FreeCAD and this have reasons, as Shalmeneser well described:
Shalmeneser wrote: Wed Nov 03, 2021 11:26 pm For me, I don't want to directly dimension after drawing, because I will modify it cutting or adding other forms in the same sketch.
And you cannot add dimensions for each forms because some forms create multiple dimensions.

Your idea is just for very simple and unique forms. Not common in real sketches.

For completeness supplemented, constructions often works with references and function dimensions, so you have to set them per hand because the computer can not guess from where and why you will set constraints.

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Haavard wrote: Thu Nov 04, 2021 8:47 pmI have no idea why chrisb and user1234 are so against even having the option to do this.
Read my post. You don't have to agree, but my view is explained there. I like good sketches.
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

I fully agree that you should not have to enter a dimension after drawing an entity, but it could still be an option imo.
SW which i use at work have this option. Inventor and F360 can do this. But those are not professional tools like FreeCAD right? ;)

What i would propose is that nothing in the current workflow or gui changes, but if you input a number after drawing a shape, a number input box pops up and a "default" constraint is added when enter is pressed. If multiple constraints is needed, like for a rectangle, TAB is used to advance to the next constraint. Default constraints would be length and height for a rectangle, diameter for a circle and radius for an arc etc.

This would also solve an issue with sketcher, that if you draw a complex sketch that is way out of scale, the solver often messes up shapes when you start to add constraints.

I don't want to start a fight with you veterans, but i am not in any way convinced this should be considered bad practice. Anyway i personally think it would only benefit the future of FreeCAD to be less hostile to new users with real world experience in other CAD software.