Enter dimensions on the fly while sketching

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
obelisk79
Veteran

Re: Enter dimensions on the fly while sketching

Post by obelisk79 »

I'm familiar with the functionality being requested here. I also understand why its being asked for, but as Chris explained his position, I'm inclined to agree with his assertion that it will invite/enable newcomers to develop poor habits through overuse of dimensional constraints over geometrical constraints. As someone who developed those same bad habits using 'other software' packages, I can say that I build much more robust models because of FreeCAD's paradigm. Something that I'm infinitely thankful for. Being user-friendly to newcomers in particular (in my opinion) has more to do with UI/UX presentation and organization than implementation of such a feature.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Haavard wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:46 am I don't want to start a fight with you veterans, but i am not in any way convinced this should be considered bad practice.
I am a fan of nudging people in the right directions. Often functions, there are seems to be userfriendly - but are pad practice, lead to bad structures builds in constructions. I am pretty sure when, such build with this function, must be changed, then you (or who must do the change), must the delete the constraints and remake them, because the constraints references are false. And when you do not reconstraint this sketch, then you (or who must do the change) must change more constraints, which must calculated before, which is a potential fail source, especially when you must change this more times of an iterative process of construction.

Haavard wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:46 am SW which i use at work have this option. Inventor and F360 can do this. But those are not professional tools like FreeCAD right?
I never saw one use F360 proffesional, only bloody vases or similar, but i never used only Autodesk program. (I will not say Autodesk is per se crappy, i never used it). I only know one program, which have this function and this is only expensive crap and their credo is style over substance. So this shiny function fits in this credo.

Greetings
user1234
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Haavard wrote: Fri Nov 05, 2021 8:46 am What i would propose is that nothing in the current workflow or gui changes, but if you input a number after drawing a shape, ...
Numbers are used to select 3D view orientation.
You need an activation-key before (TAB ?).

So in your porposition, you type dimension(s) only if you want, not modifying the actual flow.
Haavard

Post by Haavard »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 4:49 pm Numbers are used to select 3D view orientation.
You need an activation-key before (TAB ?).

So in your porposition, you type dimension(s) only if you want, not modifying the actual flow.
That would be my proposition. So for any user, beginner or experienced, you would have to know about this feature to use it.

I understand that if you constrain all geometry at the time of creation, a lot of unnecessary constraints would be added, and messy sketches is inevitable. If on the other hand you only "constrait on the fly" the constraints/dimensions you know and use it carefully, i believe it would make sketching a lot faster and more enjoyable.

Yes, currently the numpad changes view orientation, however i rarely find the need to change the 3D view while inside sketcher. Also, there are about a gazillion other ways to change the 3D view if required. Navigation cube, toolbar icons, middle mouse etc.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Haavard wrote: Sat Nov 06, 2021 7:03 pm Yes, currently the numpad changes view orientation, however i rarely find the need to change the 3D view while inside sketcher.
Also, there are about a gazillion other ways to change the 3D view if required. Navigation cube, toolbar icons, middle mouse etc.
NOPE. The way you use your numpad is so logic.