Work on modern icon theme

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MisterMaker

Re: Work on modern icon theme

Post by MisterMaker »

Don't want to hijack your topic but Linkstage support Icon theme's and it is really easy to make an icon theme, and if we get some theme's in there it will probably be nice to port it too the main branch!
More info and my icons here.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

@st_phan I realize you've kind of backed away from this project. However I've picked up the most recent file you released and are working on them. Mostly just adjusting the ones you've already created at this point but I intend to work on these further. If you still have the original source files and are willing to share I would appreciate it. Here's a sample of what I've completed so far. Mostly minor tweaks and a couple of 'recreation-modifications' of your icons.

Kind Regards,
Joe
modern_adjusted.png
modern_adjusted.png (10.97 KiB) Viewed 1680 times
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Progress update:

I started with a dark version of this icon theme from another thread since it seemed to have the most completed icons. I fully expect these to be easily themable via script once I've completed the set.

Items accomplished so far:
  • Normalize base resolution to 40px for the icons
  • I've determined that at this px resolution 3px is best for the outer border and 1.5px is best for internal details.
  • Reconstructed several icons from scratch due to issues when modifying them
  • Created a few icons from scratch that I didn't feel visually conveyed the function they were intended to represent.
  • Normalized 2px padding for all icons with only very few minor details extending into this area and only for overall sizing consistency
Here is a sample of what I've got so far, duplicates are just because certain files share an image but are used in different parts of the software. Feedback/suggestions are welcome.
Screenshot_2023-07-04_15-26-44.png
Screenshot_2023-07-04_15-26-44.png (130.08 KiB) Viewed 1606 times
HakanSeven12
Veteran

Post by HakanSeven12 »

Looks good
Pesc0

Post by Pesc0 »

Very very cool! The only thing that might need a bit of discussion is the color: I feel this might be too light and not "punchy" enough. I think a bit more contrast makes the icons easier to identify, though if they are themable this is a non-issue. What do you think?

Good work, hope to see this merged!
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Well, I'm open to using other popular UI color palettes.
ncadoret

Post by ncadoret »

I for one love the color palette as I feel it's less of a visual strain and keeps the focus on the part being designed rather than the UI. Would there maybe be a way to offer the same icon pack with several color palette options ? No idea how practical and intensive that would be as I'm not a designer but that's just my 2 cents.
Pesc0

Post by Pesc0 »

Obelisk, how would the theme script work?

This reminds me of minecraft textures: the leaves and grass textures are actually black and white, and color gets filled in later depending on the biome and other factors. Something similar could be implemented here, allowing any combination of accent colors, light and dark theme, ecc.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

The file format is just a text file, so essentially a mass search and replace should do the trick with only minor hand tweaking afterwards.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

The icons are a bit of a mess but I like to give frequent progress updates even if they are only small ones.

I've decided to re-base the colors on the "Open Color" palette found here: https://yeun.github.io/open-color/
recoloring is a WIP

I dedcided on an isolated set of Open Color palette selections after de-saturating the colors and analyzing for contrast against both light and dark backgrounds. I'm sure further modifications may need to follow. I have also included a vector color swatch that can be loaded for testing against different background colors.

I have tweaked a few of the other previously worked on icons for clarity and sizing normalcy across 'like' functions.

I've also completed a few more icons today (before I decided to switch palettes)

My focus after completing the re-focus, will be on finishing the universal toolbar icons, PartDesign and Sketcher so I can release an rcc file for people to test and provide feedback.
image.png
image.png (209.16 KiB) Viewed 1367 times
openc_color.svg
(35.66 KiB) Downloaded 42 times