FreeCAD Logo Design

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
mfro

Re: FreeCAD Logo Design

Post by mfro »

TeslaCoil wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 1:02 pm
mfro wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:33 pm Turn around the upper inside jaw of your caliper before use - this way it's not going to work (and might produce laughs) ;)
It looked typographically odd the 'correct' way around. Consider it a clamp instead.
I'd rather keep the gear wheel, then.

Just my personal taste (and to avoid discussions why the FreeCAD clamp looks like a misdesigned caliper. :lol: )
Cheers,
Markus
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

There are btw a lot more caliper designs if you browse back in this thread.
obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

While the idea of a caliper design seems nice, I just think it takes away from what the logo should be...

simple and easily recognizable.

To-wit, I think that the current logo design elements can be retained in such a way that doesn't 'reinvent' FreeCAD's brand, improves its simplicity yet be much more aesthetically appealing overall. Regarding splash screens, I feel like it's a pretty trivial complaint, the current selection is pretty simple, not ugly on the screen, and shows module loading progress. I'm neither in-favor or against your proposed change in that regard.

Just as an example, here's a logo refresh concept I was tinkering with last year when there was a massive argument on the forums about the logo. Added bonus is I designed it inside FreeCAD, because I'm a super-nerd. :ugeek:
logo_idea.jpg
logo_idea.jpg (140.73 KiB) Viewed 2208 times
TeslaCoil

Post by TeslaCoil »

obelisk79 wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 5:48 pm I think that the current logo design elements can be retained in such a way that doesn't 'reinvent' FreeCAD's brand, improves its simplicity yet be much more aesthetically appealing overall...
I feel the red and blue are awkward colors to combine.
Here's my final attempt before I leave the logo arena:

obelisk79
Veteran

Post by obelisk79 »

Less saturated shades of red and blue can be used to ease the eye-pain. Additionally, I was having a debate about this with another user on the discord server, I don't think the letter C really needs to be in the logo. F with a gear seems reasonably sufficient as an easy visual identifier as well as avoiding a full 'reinvent' of its identity.

Reusing those elements in some way, with more muted shades of red and blue colors addresses the identity issue as well as makes it look/feel less like someone enjoys MS Paint too much.

Edit: I'm bored today so I tried to refine my concept posted above...
logoWIP3-Page.PNG
logoWIP3-Page.PNG (16.77 KiB) Viewed 2102 times
Last edited by obelisk79 on Tue Aug 30, 2022 10:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

TeslaCoil wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 12:14 pm
Here you go:

Would it be possibile to have the logo in svg?
I would like to try it as the icon for FC...
marcuspollio

Post by marcuspollio »

Hi there !

After reading about the history of the Toyota logo design (symbolism and letters in the logo), here is more of a humorous deviation than a proposal ;)
freecad_1.png
freecad_1.png (16.96 KiB) Viewed 805 times
Last edited by marcuspollio on Wed Jul 26, 2023 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

This is not a very polished logo but more of an idea. By illuminating a 3D gear from the right direction we could get kind of FC.
FClogo1r.jpg
FClogo1r.jpg (29.59 KiB) Viewed 1671 times
Jolbas

Post by Jolbas »

With some gradients:
FClogof.png
FClogof.png (51.2 KiB) Viewed 1636 times
MisterMaker

Post by MisterMaker »

Love the creativity!
Maybe a bit to busy for a real logo, but definitely one of the most creative ones!
For the first I Was a bit wth is this, but with the gradient it became pretty clear!