My take on the FreeCAD GUI

A forum for research and development of the user interface of FreeCAD
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kartoffelpüre

Mock-up for selecting a Command Icon

Post by Kartoffelpüre »

Mock-up for selecting a Command Icon.

24-06-_2022_11-22-58.png
24-06-_2022_11-22-58.png (20.35 KiB) Viewed 2760 times
  1. Select an Icon, as current
    • Comand "Rectangle" get active on mouse, as current
    • Popup dialog appear, new
  2. Select "rounded corner"
    • The Icon on 1.) change, as current
    • Command rounded corner get active on mouse, as current
  3. Radius Entry appear and last set value get selected, new
    • User could now either draw the rectangle or enter a new radius on keyboard (no need to click into text box), new
  4. If selected (save last state), after placing the rounded rectangle the bows automatically get a Dimension, new
Goals:
  • After every step you immediately could draw your geometry. So the Popup dialog is not required to use. If you select something other or change the value the active command on the mouse get updated.
  • Short mouse ways
  • Sub-Idea: If the Geometry remains intact and if you click on it after the geometry was created the popup reappear again and you could change the value there or change to rectangle
------
My Mock-ups until now:
chrisb
Veteran

Re: My take on the FreeCAD GUI

Post by chrisb »

You may search the forum for discussions from paddle and abdullah discussing new fast ways to input dimensioned geometry.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Kartoffelpüre

Post by Kartoffelpüre »

If you mean this Discussion with @abdullah and @paddle than I it seems that - according to these Video - only a spare part of my idea seems discussed may one of these two have more information here.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Kartoffelpüre wrote: Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:59 am If you mean this Discussion with @abdullah and @paddle than I it seems that - according to these Video - only a spare part of my idea seems discussed may one of these two have more information here.
We are currently introducing 'tool settings' which is a widget on the side. It's modifying the rectangles commands, this is why chrisb mentioned it.
See in this video around 5min
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifhck6b_qCg
Kartoffelpüre

Post by Kartoffelpüre »

Hello Paddle

Thanks for your Feedback.

What do you think about my Mokup with the difference to your current developing?

My Idea about a dynamic submenu should focus on the most important setting a Tool have. Goal is to be able to have a slim Icon bar (what you currently already have solved) and to have the most used option next the first mouse-click. That way the sidebar should not be needed to use in 80% of all clicks on an Icon.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Personally I find popups annoying because I can't use muscle memory to navigate through them and they can get in the way if I want to press something else, additionally it might seem like a better idea when you want to create a single element for example but for continuous mode the task dialog is far superior.
paddle
Veteran

Post by paddle »

Kartoffelpüre wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 2:10 pm Hello Paddle

Thanks for your Feedback.

What do you think about my Mokup with the difference to your current developing?

My Idea about a dynamic submenu should focus on the most important setting a Tool have. Goal is to be able to have a slim Icon bar (what you currently already have solved) and to have the most used option next the first mouse-click. That way the sidebar should not be needed to use in 80% of all clicks on an Icon.
I'm not super fond of popup but only because I had some bad experience with them. Some software where popups got stuck out of the screen visible area and that I couldn't reset.
If done properly why not. Though it's already super hard to reach merge readiness so I'm not inclined to modify something now.

One thing though is that we currently use a drop-down for the construction mode. Which is not very visual. An array of icons as your mockup shows would be better.
Kartoffelpüre

Post by Kartoffelpüre »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jul 15, 2022 5:28 pm Personally I find popups annoying because I can't use muscle memory to navigate through them and they can get in the way if I want to press something else, additionally it might seem like a better idea when you want to create a single element for example but for continuous mode the task dialog is far superior.
@adrianinsaval and @paddle I know what you mean. Much bad software has killed the reputation of the Popup concept.
As an Example, I for myself would prefer to have the Settings dialog integrated into the main view and not as separate popup. While Working on the Settings, I normally do not need the 3D view. In this case in my opinion a Context Popup is highly valuable.
Kartoffelpüre

Post by Kartoffelpüre »

Long time no update here. I hope we motivated the designers so no discussion any more needed. What I do not hope is that my proposal killed the discussion :lol:
Aleks

Post by Aleks »

Kartoffelpüre wrote: Thu May 25, 2023 6:35 am Long time no update here. I hope we motivated the designers so no discussion any more needed. What I do not hope is that my proposal killed the discussion :lol:
No it didnt kill it. I am still thinking about the GUI regularily and have got another idea to present. I just havent gotten to create a mockup, yet. :)
FreeCAD als Maschinenbauer in die Konstruktion und Fertigung integrieren. Schulung buchen: www.alsado.de/freecad-schulungen