I can't find the "non-solid"

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
drmacro
Veteran

Re: I can't find the "non-solid"

Post by drmacro »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:54 pm
drmacro wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:39 pm I didn't attempt any operations. I opened the file, no errors. I also did a recompute with no errors.
Can you try to redo the top level cut?
Yes, that produces said message.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

drmacro wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:01 pm Yes, that produces said message.
Thanks for confirming. @KDM, please create a ticket.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
KDM

Post by KDM »

drmacro wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:39 pm
chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:01 pm
drmacro wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:41 pm Hmm...here it passes geometry check in FreeCAD.
The result here is ok as well. Do you too get the intermediate message with the non solids when you create the cut?
I didn't attempt any operations. I opened the file, no errors. I also did a recompute with no errors.
Yes, none of the above is a problem ... the problem only occurs at the moment I perform the cut. The Cut seems to succeed, but it moans about it.
KDM

Post by KDM »

chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:21 pm Thanks for confirming. @KDM, please create a ticket.
Heh heh, well you folks have been having fun with this. I'd like to participate at that level in the community, but until I understand what just happened, all I can really do is submit my file and my observations. Can you help me pad it a bit with useful info?

drmacro wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:41 pm Hmm...here it passes geometry check in FreeCAD. And the exported stl seems to pass the 3D print checks and manifold check in Blender.
Yes, for me also. I have now imported to CURA.
Shalmeneser wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:24 pm Just for PartDesign fans.
Got no idea what that means!
KDM

Post by KDM »

domad wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 5:40 pm It's not a bug but a surface intersection problem, you simply have to lower, on the "Z" axis, the cut sphere "Lug" by a few hundredths or thousandths of a mm, and everything will work.
This I understand! I do normally overlap solids before merging them. Some of the others think something more sinister is going on, though.
I deleted the cut operation, moved the lug down by 0.1mm, and re-did the cut .... It did not complain.

Thanks.
chrisb wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:21 pm Thanks for confirming. @KDM, please create a ticket.
@chrisb is this still ticket-worthy?
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 4:24 pm Just for PartDesign fans.
For those who prefer PartDesign workbench.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

KDM wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:51 pm This I understand! I do normally overlap solids before merging them. Some of the others think something more sinister is going on, though.
I deleted the cut operation, moved the lug down by 0.1mm, and re-did the cut .... It did not complain.
Hello KDM, greetings to the Community!
Unfortunately in FC, when there are situations in which the modeling algorithm is unable to determine the exact boundary between faces, a sort of "apparent intersection/interpenetration/interaction" is created which puts it in crisis, so it is enough to "force" a po and everything works again.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

KDM wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:51 pm @chrisb is this still ticket-worthy?
Yes, I think so, as the message is very misleading. The developers may decide if improvement is possible.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.