Sketch changes from hex to square when spreadsheet value is changed

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
db44022

Sketch changes from hex to square when spreadsheet value is changed

Post by db44022 »

I am new to FreeCAD.

I am building a parametric model that I want to use to create multiple 3D printed parts. I have created a spreadsheet cell that defines the number of holes (hex pockets) desired, and then calculates the length of the part and the position of the first pockets that will be used in a linear pattern. There is a sketch that defines the shape of the pockets that are in a linear pattern based on the length parameter.

However, when I change the "NumberOfBits" parameter, my sketch changes from a hexagon to a square. I cannot figure out what is causing the sketch to change.

If the value for NumberOfBits is increased rather than decreased, the model seems to work.

I have spent a lot of time trying to figure this out, and am about to give up and create a bunch of manual files... :(

Thanks for any help!

FreeCAD 0.20.2
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.2.29177 +426 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached from 0.20.2)
Hash: 930dd9a76203a3260b1e6256c70c1c3cad8c5cb8
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods:
* A2plus 0.4.60h
Attachments
The model prior to making the change.
The model prior to making the change.
OriginalState.jpg (309.23 KiB) Viewed 808 times
Hex Small Bit Unlabeled Rail Block_V1 - Fails.FCStd
(69.81 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
The model after making the change.
The model after making the change.
AfterChangingValue.jpg (308.91 KiB) Viewed 808 times
Last edited by db44022 on Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Sketch changes from hex to square when spreadsheet value is changed

Post by chrisb »

You probably have a flipping sketch. I can investigate it a bit later. You probably have some sort of degenerated hexagon, where you still have six sides inside of a circle and all have the same length.
It happens when a hexagon is moved too far from its origin, IIRC more than half of its diameter
There are various ways to avoid it, one of them using a triangle only and apply a multitransform with a polar and a linear pattern.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I had a look now, and I was right and wrong. I was right with the flipping sketch, and I was wrong with the distance to move. The sketch doesn't flip if the distance of the move is 20mm or less, and it flips if it is 21 or bigger.

In your case I wouldn't use the multipattern mentioned above, I would rather place the hexagon in the center of the sketch and move the whole sketch.

Something else: If you have only one sketch on the DatumPlane it is worth to consider to omit the latter and use the same Placement on the former.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Here is the model where I just fixed the flipping, without reworking anything else. If you are interested in more comments how I would design it to make it more robust against changes (e.g. change BlockExtensionFromRail to 20 and see what happens), ask back.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:49 am ...
No file included!
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Uups.
Attachments
Hex Small Bit Unlabeled Rail Block_cb.FCStd
(62.23 KiB) Downloaded 8 times
db44022

Post by db44022 »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:38 am Something else: If you have only one sketch on the DatumPlane it is worth to consider to omit the latter and use the same Placement on the former.
The model I uploaded was simplified from what I wanted to achieve. I was using chamfers, and text that I were attached to the DatumPlane. I simplified the model to highlight the problem I encountered.
db44022

Post by db44022 »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:38 am I had a look now, and I was right and wrong. I was right with the flipping sketch, and I was wrong with the distance to move. The sketch doesn't flip if the distance of the move is 20mm or less, and it flips if it is 21 or bigger.
Is the "Flipping Sketch" a bug, or caused by some valid use case?

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:38 am In your case I wouldn't use the multipattern mentioned above, I would rather place the hexagon in the center of the sketch and move the whole sketch.
I am not familiar with how to "Move the whole sketch", but I will do research and give it a try. Is there any published information on when it is better to use a pattern, and when you should move the sketch? I thought I was doing it correctly!

Thanks for your help!!
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

db44022 wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:47 pm
chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:38 am I had a look now, and I was right and wrong. I was right with the flipping sketch, and I was wrong with the distance to move. The sketch doesn't flip if the distance of the move is 20mm or less, and it flips if it is 21 or bigger.
Is the "Flipping Sketch" a bug, or caused by some valid use case?
It is a limitation of how the constraint solver works.

Every time you add a constraint it adds to the equation matrix that the solver solves. (Note: fully constrained does not mean the geometry won't change shape, it essentially means the user has added a constraint for each DOF (degree of freedom). And, it does not mean that proximity of two vertexes constitute coincident, they must marked as such. )

The solver knows nothing about geometry or the users intent or expectations. It finds the first valid solution to the matrix and considers it's job done.

If that happens to have moved things in a way that causes the geometry to be shaped differently from our expectations, it sometimes appears to "flip" things. If a positional constraint were available, then we would be able to constrain "this must be left of that", etc. We can't at this point.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
db44022

Post by db44022 »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 6:49 am Here is the model where I just fixed the flipping, without reworking anything else. If you are interested in more comments how I would design it to make it more robust against changes (e.g. change BlockExtensionFromRail to 20 and see what happens), ask back.
I looked at your change, and it seems pretty minor, but works much better. I do not understand why, but will do some research and try to learn more about the best way to define constraints and patterns.
Of course I would love any suggestions you have, or point me to somewhere that will help me learn.