Select an Edge, Face or Body from an Active Body???

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
MMSN

Select an Edge, Face or Body from an Active Body???

Post by MMSN »

Hello ,
I am trying to use FreeCad and I get this message."Select an Edge, Face or Body from an Active Body"???. Why do I get this message and how can I avoid it when starting the design of a part from a sketch when try to apply fillet or chamfer from selected edge as show in the screenshot below?
Thanks in advance!
I am using FreeCad 0.20.2
FreeCad Issue.PNG
FreeCad Issue.PNG (80.49 KiB) Viewed 1239 times
onekk
Veteran

Re: Select an Edge, Face or Body from an Active Body???

Post by onekk »

MMSN wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 1:27 am Hello ,
Hello, please follow:

http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264

And try to post the problematic file.

It is hard to tell from your description what is going wrong, and screenshot is not helping too much.

Did you read the tutorial in FreeCAD wiki pages?

Regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

You get this warning when the document contains more than one Body, and the selected subelement does not belong to the active Body. You need to activate the correct Body first. See PartDesign_Body#Active_status.
MMSN

Post by MMSN »

Roy_043
I find this very complicated. Who came up with something like this? A genius professor?
This is very confusing after reading it. Why don't they go back to the FreeCad 16 method? Simple and goes to the same part.
Simplicity is the best engineering if it serves the same purpose. The end here is one part.
Why you programmers make confusion pad from sketch with extrude?
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

MMSN wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:37 am Roy_043
I find this very complicated. Who came up with something like this? A genius professor?
This is very confusing after reading it. Why don't they go back to the FreeCad 16 method? Simple and goes to the same part.
Simplicity is the best engineering if it serves the same purpose. The end here is one part.
Why you programmers make confusion pad from sketch with extrude?
The term "extrude" in the CAD world is generic as you note.

But, in FreeCAD Pad can only create a solid. Extrude (which is a specific operation in Part workbench) can create an open shell, extrude a single vertex or line. None of which would make sense in the Part Design paradigm.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

MMSN wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:37 am Why don't they go back to the FreeCad 16 method?
Why should "they" do that? You can do it on your own by continuing to use 0.16. For me the concept of a body as an enclosing unit with it's new (since 0.17) attachment possibilities outweighs by far the clarity of 0.16. Where BTW I liked especially the very clear linear dependency graph.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

MMSN wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:37 am I find this very complicated.
To activate or de-activate a Body:
- Double click on it on the tree view, or
- Open the context menu (right click) and select Toggle active body.

What is there complicated? Doubleclick on Body is not that hard. You seem to have messed the activated Body with clicking around.

MMSN wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:37 am This is very confusing after reading it. Why don't they go back to the FreeCad 16 method? Simple and goes to the same part.
The behavior with activating is the same as before, else how do FreeCAD know, on which Body it should operate the actual task. Besides, i wish you good luck with engineering without a Body conception and/or only one Part. This will not work.
MMSN

Post by MMSN »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 12:56 am Why should "they" do that? You can do it on your own by continuing to use 0.16. For me the concept of a body as an enclosing unit with it's new (since 0.17) attachment possibilities outweighs by far the clarity of 0.16. Where BTW I liked especially the very clear linear dependency graph.
Hi Chrisb,Thanks for your answer.
Unfortunately, the terms are confused. This fantastic program must apply correct language and not confuse. It is not the same to pad on a selected sketch as to apply extrude on a selected sketch. Linguistically I find it incorrect.
A part must come out of a simple body or made from a figure or combination of them from which a loft or sculpting process is performed as Michelangelo did.

I will read the link again with more attention but I think it is based on confusing concepts.
MMSN

Post by MMSN »

Thanks user1234 for your answer.
Yes I will do this but insist that the language is incorrect.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Words such as "Extrude" and "Pad" may not quite meet their common meanings from public life; they may even be incorrect. But in FreeCAD these words have a dedicated meaning and I am very grateful for that! There are other places in FreeCAD where no such distiction exists, and that causes confusion, because the language becomes imprecise. Think of the word "part", which is used for a workbench, for objects made in this workbench, or loosely spoken to denote some subset of a model when saying things such as "the left part of the model ...".

In other areas of science or daily life we seee the same (think of the special meaning the word "let" has for a mathematician, or the word "boot" for someone starting his computer), and it is a very good thing if you step back and see that it's finally about what language is basically made for: to communicate.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.