Equivalent feature for chamfers: variable-length fillets?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Nobody_III

Equivalent feature for chamfers: variable-length fillets?

Post by Nobody_III »

I'm changing my laser tag gun design that I made in FreeCAD to use chamfers instead of fillets, to improve printability, but I ran into a problem: FreeCAD is giving me bad results when I try to convert my variable-radius fillet to a chamfer.
freecad variable radius fillet.png
freecad variable radius fillet.png (53.8 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Please note that this is a Part fillet, and it doesn't actually use the "Variable Radius" option, but rather has multiple different radii along the curve, which are interpolated automatically.

When I try to reproduce this same behavior with a chamfer, the closest result that I've been able to get is this:
freecad variable radius fillet not working on chamfer.png
freecad variable radius fillet not working on chamfer.png (48.18 KiB) Viewed 440 times
Is there some way to make this work? I've tried everything that seemed to have some possibility of working. I tried using the "Variable Length" feature on the chamfer, but found that that feature was actually referring to chamfers with different angles. I've tried this on 0.19.3, 0.20, the weekly release (2022-12-04), and the Link Branch (22.07.09), and none of them work when I try to make that chamfer. Given that the Part chamfer allows specifying multiple chamfer lengths, I would consider its failure to produce a result that even loosely matches the parameters to be a a bug. Is there any work-around that I can use, or any plan to fix this?

All versions of FreeCAD that I specified were running on Ubuntu 22.04 from AppImages, though I have little reason to believe that that information has any relevance.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Equivalent feature for chamfers: variable-length fillets?

Post by chrisb »

You can create the chamfers manually with a sweep and multiple sections.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Nobody_III

Re: Equivalent feature for chamfers: variable-length fillets?

Post by Nobody_III »

chrisb wrote: Wed Dec 07, 2022 1:12 am You can create the chamfers manually with a sweep and multiple sections.
That results in its own problems, as I mentioned in https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=74832, so your workaround doesn't work without another workaround for its problems.