Need help with PATHs

Here's the place for discussion related to CAM/CNC and the development of the Path module.
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Learning

Need help with PATHs

Post by Learning »

I am new to this world, and have tried as hard as I can learning from tutorials (on youtube, mostly). However, generating paths to finally mill my creation beats me. In the simulation, the paths look awful, not cutting away what I would like. I tried to export as STL and put it into Easel, but (as far as I can tell), it doesn´t hollow out the "channels", using a 1/8" ballnose bit.
Can anyone explain why (and hopefully) how to get things right?

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.1.29410 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: f5d13554ecc7a456fb6e970568ae5c74ba727563
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
nockjigg.pdf
(97.44 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Nockjigg, vers2.FCStd
(101.79 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Need help with PATHs

Post by chrisb »

Please post Path questions to the Path forum (where I moved this topic).
Attach images directly to the post instead of attaching a pdf containing the image.

You need Path 3DSurface to mill this. Enable it in the preferences.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

:idea:
Too many (same) dimensions in your sketches
Attachments
Nockjigg_SHALM.FCStd
(73.65 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Annotation 2022-11-30 125308.jpg
Annotation 2022-11-30 125308.jpg (40.35 KiB) Viewed 672 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Learning wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:48 am Can anyone explain why (and hopefully) how to get things right?
By far the easiest way is to use the correct size cutter to create the groove shape directly. In that case the "Slot" tool can be used.

It is possible to create the groove with a smaller tool, such as your 1/8" ball-end mill. In that case it will be necessary to use the 3D Surface tool to get the desired shape, using multiple passes. Lots of variations are possible, so I will not try to guess what you really want.

Here is an example of one pattern.

Groove3.JPG
Groove3.JPG (46.43 KiB) Viewed 627 times

Frankly this approach is probably a bit complicated for such a simple-appearing shape. The proper groove-size tool is clearly the best approach.

Gene
jbraun

Post by jbraun »

Learning wrote: Wed Nov 30, 2022 6:48 am Can anyone explain why (and hopefully) how to get things right?
The problem I ran into with this model using 3D surface was the front and back of the channels don't clean-up completely.
Ideally it would be possible to extend the channel 1/2 a tool diameter in front, and this can be done by adding a bit of a pad on the front face of the body. The line pattern can be skewed 90 degrees (an entry in the data window), if you prefer that to a bunch of plunging arcs.
Sorry if that's not a clearly explained, I should have screen grabbed or attached a file.

Ideally the the thru-hole (slot) in the rear could be patched over or ignored, and maybe that is possible but I couldn't figure it out. "Patched over" being a bit hard to describe but it can be done in 'the other leading brand' . My experience was the 3D surface tool path refused to cut in that slotted area. A clumsy solution would be creating (and posting) the channel paths before adding the thru-slots. This would require sewing together some g-code, a fairly simple bit of editing. If there's a less clumsy way ...well, I come here to learn.
For English help on youtube check out Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly Solutions.
Look for recent videos, this software is updated at a rapid pace.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

jbraun wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 4:58 am The problem I ran into with this model using 3D surface was the front and back of the channels don't clean-up completely.
The open end is easy; just change the condition "Boundary Enforcement" to False. The closed end is impossible with an ordinary ball-end mill.

Gene
jbraun

Post by jbraun »

GeneFC wrote: Fri Dec 02, 2022 3:58 pm The open end is easy; just change the condition "Boundary Enforcement" to False. The closed end is impossible with an ordinary ball-end mill.
Ha yes, I explored that possibility and forgot to mention it when posting.
The path has too many unproductive moves for my liking but it's something OP may want to use.
Attachments
FC_ignore_boundry.png
FC_ignore_boundry.png (32.48 KiB) Viewed 464 times
FC_ignore_boundry_2.png
FC_ignore_boundry_2.png (46.87 KiB) Viewed 464 times
For English help on youtube check out Joko Engineering or Mango Jelly Solutions.
Look for recent videos, this software is updated at a rapid pace.