Difference between a Github issue and problem?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
heda
Veteran

Re: Difference between a Github issue and problem?

Post by heda »

was not a key point that people now can raise issues without signing up to forum / mantis?

anyhow, imho anything fc needs moderation.

i'm afraid that nomatter where one turns in this case one's behind is still well, behind oneself...

let's reason purely hypotheticals...
a simple thing to do could be to postulate that feature requests must be on forum, and if someone raises a fr on gh, then it is simply closed (after having it moved to forum, either by op, or by gatekeeper).
making a new forum section with fr, where anyone can post, and then if it is deemed a worthy fr it stays in that section, if not it is moved.
if there are non-dev contributors willing to do so, they could maintain a wiki page with fr's.

that's the fr's, now to issues,
let's opt for having issues being raised directly, and only, on gh,
hm, there are inherent problems with that...
most helpers are on forum, not gh, so the initial judgement if it is an issue or not, or if there are workarounds will then tend to end up on gh as an issue (assuming that helpers will start to be active on gh instead of forum) - or simply leave all those issues to rot (which is not a very nice thing to do)...
so solution then would be to ask helpers to sign up for gh and practically the forum would over time move to gh-issues?

the above is purely hypotheticals, just showing that it is not hard to spin this any way one wants to, one conclusion from above reasoning can be to ditch the forum and move it all to gh, and while we are at it - lets ditch the wiki and move that to gh as well (which btw is not anything i'm proposing (for one that would probably put me in a spot where i would become a mere spectator for anything fc), just saying that it could be a fairly objective logical conclusion)

the choices are, which entry points does one offer, one or multiple, and how does one moderate, does one aim for having a moderated overview or not?

here is one thought...
for all these micro payments done intended for devs, maybe there is quite a big bang for the buck just having a part-time payed moderator (not really on content, but more on organizing and keeping things tidy between forum/gh, creating overviews etc), an old fashion secretary / administrator would do wonders here imho.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 10:27 am An argument to move away from the forum was, that a discussion here is only linear.
What, what is here linear? Context?

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 5:01 pm What, what is here linear? Context?
That's how sliptonic put it. I understood from this, that on Github topics can fork to tree like discussions with separate subdiscussions which can take place in parallel, while here in the forum one topic is strictly ordered by its timeline.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

chrisb wrote: Sun Nov 27, 2022 9:33 pm I understood from this, that on Github topics can fork to tree like discussions with separate subdiscussions which can take place in parallel, while here in the forum one topic is strictly ordered by its timeline.
This sort of non linear, yes that is true. I thought something linear like television.

Greetings
user1234