TempPath is not respected

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FredCailloux

Re: TempPath is not respected

Post by FredCailloux »

Yes, I did try it but no success.
Great results only comes with great understanding. Great memory is just an illusion.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FredCailloux wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 7:18 pm Yes, I did try it but no success.
It is not sufficient to specify the path (as chennes pointed out, it works well without), but you have to configure it in Preferences->General>Document. Check both hooks "Run auto recovery at startup" and "Save auto recovery every ...".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

There is nothing to say against newbies, but I admit that I am bit disappointed that every idiot newbie post without any file attached or FreeCAD infos or whatever else we like to have finds more support than my request for validation.

So I finally created - not knowing which one to use - an issue and a problem report: issue #7995, issue #7996.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

chrisb wrote: Fri Dec 09, 2022 8:47 pm my request for validation.
I did not quite understand the issue when this first came up, and I then just passed over this topic. :oops:

In any case, I have always used a custom temp location, and I have never had any problems. I just checked again and everything seems to be working correctly.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.31155 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 6f1b29769b33676edca2bd883b80bed25a0758c8
Python 3.10.8, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * FeedsAndSpeeds 0.5.0
  * FeedsAndSpeeds-master.zip
  * freecad.gears 1.0.0
  * Help 1.0.3
Gene
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the feedback, so it may be a macOS issue. Would be interesting to hear about Linux as well, as the file system seems to becloser to mac's.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

chrisb wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:10 am The parameter BaseApp→Preferences→General→TempPath is no longer respected. It points to the directory, where the auto recovery files are stored.
Note, that when implementing the XDG specification more than a year ago TempPath is not used any more to save recovery files. Instead the location pointing to QStandardPaths::GenericCacheLocation is used. On a standard Linux system this is now under $HOME/.cache/FreeCAD/Cache/.

So, the user doesn't have to worry about changing this path to a directory that survives a reboot. From the GUI you can easily access this directory via Edit > Preferences > General > Cache. There is a line field with the path name and a convenience button to open a file manager window. Additionally there are options to automatically clean-up the directory if too much garbage has been collected over time.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wmayer wrote: Tue Dec 27, 2022 12:08 pm when implementing the XDG specification more than a year ago TempPath is not used any more to save recovery files.
Thanks for the information. I will check the situation on macOS later.