TempPath is not respected

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

TempPath is not respected

Post by chrisb »

The parameter BaseApp→Preferences→General→TempPath is no longer respected. It points to the directory, where the auto recovery files are stored.

Does it still work on Linux and Windows?

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.31035 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c8074a972ee233d303e50e5d525aecae09c1cd04
Python 3.10.6, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: C/Default (C)
Installed mods: 
  * FC_SU
  * DynamicData 2.46.0
  * FeedsAndSpeeds 0.4.0
  * fcgear 1.0.0
  * fasteners 0.4.16
  * sheetmetal 0.2.57
  * ExplodedAssembly
  * Curves 0.5.8
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: TempPath is not respected

Post by thomas-neemann »

chrisb wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 2:10 am ...
how can you test that?
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

This is based on a description of Werner:
Attachments
Bildschirm­foto 2022-11-25 um 22.07.49.png
Bildschirm­foto 2022-11-25 um 22.07.49.png (228.55 KiB) Viewed 745 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
FredCailloux

Post by FredCailloux »

What exactly is to understand from the previous post ?
My question is in regards to the "Save AutoRecovery information every" ( say 5 minutes )
When this parameter is set to 5 minutes on a Windows 7 system, does that mean that the current work is saved every 5 minutes ?
Where is it saved by default ? ( I cant find the location on my system )
From the previous post, If the "TempPath" is not set in the Parameter/BaseApp/Preferences/General/
Does this mean that the "Save AutoRecovery information every" will not necessarily save any file ?
FreeCAD behavior is not clear to me.
Great results only comes with great understanding. Great memory is just an illusion.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

FredCailloux wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 2:52 am When this parameter is set to 5 minutes on a Windows 7 system, does that mean that the current work is saved every 5 minutes ?
Yes. Even if you don't specify the path it is saved in some temp directory. If FreeCAD crashes that is ok. But if the system crashes, it may clean up your temp folder and your work will be lost.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

@edwilliams16, you are on MacOS as well. Would you mind testing this?
FredCailloux

Post by FredCailloux »

chrisb wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 9:35 am Yes. Even if you don't specify the path it is saved in some temp directory. If FreeCAD crashes that is ok. But if the system crashes, it may clean up your temp folder and your work will be lost.
So, on a Windows 7 system Is there a default folder location where this backup file would be stored ?
What would be that folder ? In my case it is not c:\Windows\Temp\
Right now I'm afraid to restart FreeCAD from fear of loosing my 3h work.
In my case it was a FreeCAD crash. The system was still working properly when it happened.
If there exist any possibility to retrieve my work I'm going to wait for that answer. Thanks
Great results only comes with great understanding. Great memory is just an illusion.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

It isn't FreeCAD you have to worry about deleting your work, it's your operating system. When you start FreeCAD, it will examine the TempPath (whatever it may be) and see if there are autorecover files there. If there are, it will offer you the chance to load them. The above discussion concerns a crash that forces your whole computer to reboot, which in some cases erases the temp directory. So just don't reboot: launch FreeCAD.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
FredCailloux

Post by FredCailloux »

From fear of loosing my work I immediately added the TempPath in the Parameter/BaseApp/Preferences/General/
Thinking, at least, the next time this happen I will not loose my work.
But now, even restarting FreeCAD, nothing is suggested. that is why I was hoping FreeCAD had previously saved this work in a default temp folder.
It would appear that it is not the case since FreeCAD is not suggesting anything at startup.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

FredCailloux wrote: Sun Dec 04, 2022 5:41 pm It would appear that it is not the case since FreeCAD is not suggesting anything at startup.
I'd guess now FreeCAD is only looking in your newly-specified temp path, not in its default. You can try deleting that parameter and see if FreeCAD re-discovers its lost temp files.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com