Workable Copy/Mirror

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Lowlyslows

Re: Workable Copy/Mirror

Post by Lowlyslows »

Shalmeneser wrote: Fri Nov 25, 2022 10:28 am Btw, you should not sketch upon face : TNP
You should use axis (at the 'top' of your object).
Is this why I can't change anything? I am trying to change a sketch but nothing happens or it breaks the model.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

I told you above that you can't do it in PartDesign
if you make a mirror, you will have a single welded part, or if you shift you will have 2 separate parts in the same body from where crash
if you make a clone of Body, you will have 2 pieces but when you want to subtract: either you have subtracted the 1st body on its copy = 0
either you have autointersection from where crash
in my example that I join you you can see that even the A is reproduced symmetrically, so this is the solution (in my previous file I had removed the A for a smaller file) but as that did not suit the commentators ....
Attachments
HelpPPB.FCStd
(118.16 KiB) Downloaded 6 times
Help PPB2.JPG
Help PPB2.JPG (29.27 KiB) Viewed 178 times
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

You have not understood the concept of Part Design workbench Body.

The Body constitutes a single cumulative solitary solid. The features in the Body (Pad/Pocket/etc.) do not constitute atomic solids. They are operations that accumulate.

If you use the Part Design Feature Mirror, it creates a mirror of the accumulation up to that point and it is added, making a single solid.

Thus, you can only continue to modify the entire solid Body.

The suggestions offered, create a new solid. This allows you to continue to modify the mirrored solid, but, it is not part of the Body from which it was derived.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."