HOWTO have 2 different Part Designs in seperate FCStd files depending on the same sketch ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Boo

Re: HOWTO have 2 different Part Designs in seperate FCStd files depending on the same sketch ?

Post by Boo »

Lonfor wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:02 am
Boo wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 7:40 pm when I tried to create a sketch in the dependant file it created it in the linked source file too and so when I applied a pocket to remove the stuff from the source that I don't need in the dependant file it pocketed the bodies in both files !
That is beyond the scope of the title of this thread. If you link only the sketch instead of a design body and use it in the target file just to apply a feature as for example Pad, Pocket or Revolution, those features won't be replicated in the source file.
So, the sketches in the source file will remain intact as templates.
Sorry, how can I link only the sketch from a file ? When I link the file it links the whole file as far as I can tell. I tried creating a file that only contained a sketch and creating a body from a carbon copy of the data in that sketch in the dependant model but even then padding the carbon copied sketch padded it in the sketch file and pocketing away the stuff I didn't need also pocketed the original, now padded, original sketch file ?

Have I misunderstood what I need to do when linking ?

I've attached my sketch file as "sliding_plate_sk.FCStd" and dependant model file as "lower_cover_001.FCStd". If you put them both in a directory and open just "lower_cover_001.FCStd" and the Part Design wb then pad the Sketch by 1.5mm and pocket it by Sketch001 by "Through-all" and "Symetric to plane" you will see what I mean. In fact, the reaon the Sketch001 exists in both files is it was automatically created in "sliding_plate_sk.FCStd" when I added it to "lower_cover_001.FCStd", I did not want the Sketch001 to exist in both files.

Many thanks to all who have offered help to me as a FreeCAD newbie,

Boo
Attachments
sliding_plate_sk.FCStd
(16.65 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
lower_cover_001.FCStd
(2.79 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
Boo

Re: HOWTO have 2 different Part Designs in seperate FCStd files depending on the same sketch ?

Post by Boo »

papyblaise wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:35 am my clone solution more answers the title question
But the two models need to be in different files ?

Thanks,

Boo
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

here a quick example, you choose what depends on what by making the links appropriately.
Attachments
target1.FCStd
(19.48 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
target2.FCStd
(20.74 KiB) Downloaded 13 times
source.FCStd
(5.6 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

What about this model requires the multiple files?

I mean what is the design intent or need?

While the link will allow linking to the sketch in multiple files, I don't understand the requirement.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
-alex-
Veteran

Post by -alex- »

Boo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:09 am Have I misunderstood what I need to do when linking ?
@Lonfor is right, Std_LinkMake and friends (see Std_Base) is what you need for.

Follow this workflow:
1- create 3 FreeCAD files, lets say:
- Master_sketch: it contains the master sketch
- Sub_prt1: empty
- Sub_prt2: empty
2- Then save every files, that's important.
3- double clic on Sub_part1 in tree view to activate it, then select the master sketch in Master_sketch file in tree view (1 single clic). Then clic Std_LinkMake icon. You will get the link object of master skefch in Sub_prt1 file.
4- do the same when activating Sub_prt2 file.

This is how it works.
Link has some limitations in FreeCAD master (external references), but you can also use it in Linkstage3 branch which is more powerful about external regerences, design in context and much more....
In some situations maybe you will need to use PartDesign_SubShapeBinder as a "bridge" between the linked object and some child objects.
Depends the workflow...
Be aware that files made with Linkstage3 branch will be not standard if you use special features of Linkstage3 branch.
Boo wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:12 am
papyblaise wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 10:35 am my clone solution more answers the title question
But the two models need to be in different files ?
AFAIK Draft_Clone is offtopic as a multiple files project is concerned. Don't mind about it.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

btw, the cactus sketch seems too complex. Try instead multiple simple sketches.
Attachments
sliding_plate_SHALM.FCStd
(62.89 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

the cactus sketch seems too complex
ça permet de cacher Bip-Bip :lol:
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

"So it can hide road-runner"
Boo

Post by Boo »

drmacro wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:33 am What about this model requires the multiple files?

I mean what is the design intent or need?

While the link will allow linking to the sketch in multiple files, I don't understand the requirement.
The design intent is that different parts are contained in different files so modifications to one part in that file that file do not have unintended/accidental consequences for another part ? I've worked alsongside many D.O.s where such a compartmentalisation of parts into files would be de rigeur and it seems a natural way to proceed to me.

Thanks for your reply,

Boo
Boo

Post by Boo »

adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 11:28 am here a quick example, you choose what depends on what by making the links appropriately.
-alex- wrote: Tue Nov 29, 2022 12:21 pm @Lonfor is right, Std_LinkMake and friends (see Std_Base) is what you need for.

Follow this workflow:
1- create 3 FreeCAD files, lets say:
- Master_sketch: it contains the master sketch
- Sub_prt1: empty
- Sub_prt2: empty
2- Then save every files, that's important.
3- double clic on Sub_part1 in tree view to activate it, then select the master sketch in Master_sketch file in tree view (1 single clic). Then clic Std_LinkMake icon. You will get the link object of master skefch in Sub_prt1 file.
4- do the same when activating Sub_prt2 file.

This is how it works.
Link has some limitations in FreeCAD master (external references), but you can also use it in Linkstage3 branch which is more powerful about external regerences, design in context and much more....
In some situations maybe you will need to use PartDesign_SubShapeBinder as a "bridge" between the linked object and some child objects.
Depends the workflow...
Be aware that files made with Linkstage3 branch will be not standard if you use special features of Linkstage3 branch.

AFAIK Draft_Clone is offtopic as a multiple files project is concerned. Don't mind about it.
Thanks to you both for the suggestions, I will get onto it tomorrow...

Boo