Reorient sketch greyed out, how to reenable it?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
stevecoh1

Reorient sketch greyed out, how to reenable it?

Post by stevecoh1 »

Noob question.

After some teeth-gnashing with some good help from the NEW TO FREECAD? - START HERE post, I managed to create the first step of my design, two rectangles in the XZ plane, fully constrained and properly dimensioned. But my intent was to make this a 3d sketch and I want to sketch the XY plane now. But Sketch->Reorient Sketch is now greyed out. I think it's because my design is fully constrained (but not sure). Anyway, how may I enable "Reorient Sketch" to allow the XY (or YZ) planes to be sketched?

Thanks.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Reorient sketch greyed out, how to reenable it?

Post by drmacro »

A sketch in FreeCAD is a 2D drawing are on one of the base planes.

In typical workflow, a constraind sketch like you describe can either be Extruded in Part workbench or used in a Pad operation in Part Design workbench. These produce 3D solid models.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
stevecoh1

Post by stevecoh1 »

Thank you. But this thing I'm designing isn't really a "part". It is more like the inside of a box, so I've resisted going the Part way. Actually it's a TV alcove built into a wall, that I want to make smaller, so what I'm designing is framing that will fit inside it. But first I want to sketch the existing alcove. Is there another workbench that would be better than Part?
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Resistance is futile. :lol: :lol: :lol:
stevecoh1

Post by stevecoh1 »

Bance wrote: Thu Sep 29, 2022 10:04 pm Resistance is futile. :lol: :lol: :lol:
So it would seem.

OK, so I surrendered. I'm using the Part Workbench. It lets me set the dimensions, origins, and all that. But it won't SHOW me the dimensions on the drawing. How do I make a Part Workbench drawing do that?
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Drawings are pen and ink, in CAD we make models.

Part WB has primarily a CSG(constructive solid geometry) approach. One creates cubes,cylinders,spheres etc. and combines them with Boolean operations.

PartDesign WB uses a sketch and feature based workflow.

Which are you using?

3D models are not conventionally littered with dimensions.

If they are required the 3D model may be rendered to a 2D drawing using the TechDraw WB. Temporary dimensions(measurements) maybe made with the measuring tools available in the appropriate WB.
rich61

Post by rich61 »

Is this what you want to do ? Except the outside of this box is your wall and much larger.
Box.png
Box.png (1.94 KiB) Viewed 467 times
Workbench Part Design, create body, create a first sketch, dimension it, then upon sketch exit you can pad it. Then you have a rectangular 3D solid. Then you create second sketch that is the inside of your box alcove, that is a pocket operation after you exit that sketch.

It is the pad and the pocket operations that give you your 3D object from the two 2D sketches, not a reorient sketch. You only sketch/draw on one plane for something like this.

Look for a tutorial that uses PAD and POCKET.