FreeCad 0.20.1 - Right-Click not releasing tool

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ganjaccount

FreeCad 0.20.1 - Right-Click not releasing tool

Post by ganjaccount »

EDIT: There is some confusion about the issue I am having, and due to my lack of experience with FreeCad, it is likely my fault for not being able to accurately describe the behavior in context. I think user "OpenBrain" described it correctly.
To me the OP see the following issue : select a tool (for example "vertical constraint") without anything selected so you're in continuous mode. Then right click => it looks like the tool is correctly disabled, but as soon as mouse comes over a constraint/geometry, the tool is "magically" re-activated.

Hello,

I have freecad installed on both windows 10 and Debian Bookworm. I am just learning, so I wasn't sure if I was doing something wrong, or misunderstanding, but after posting on reddit with a video of the behavior, I was told to post here.

What happens: When using a tool, if I right click, the standard cursor appears momentarily. If I move the cursor over an object, however, the tool icon reappears and the tool is still active.

What (I think) should happen: If I am using a tool and right click, the standard cursor should appear and I should be able to select, move, and otherwise interact with objects.

This is kind of a pain because using escape can accidentally exit the sketch. I was given some good workarounds, and I will use them, but apparently the behavior I am seeing is not supposed to happen, so I am posting it here. Below is a link to the reddit video post - apologies for the terrible quality, but my screen recorder wasn't capturing the mouse and I didn't have time to go installing a better one for this purpose.

Video: https://old.reddit.com/r/FreeCAD/commen ... click_not/

About Info:

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.1.
Build type: Release
Python 3.10.7, Qt 5.15.4, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.1.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Last edited by ganjaccount on Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
openBrain
Veteran

Re: FreeCad 0.20.1 - Right-Click not releasing tool

Post by openBrain »

What is your Mouse navigation style ?
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Confirmed using Touchpad nav style on:

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.30479 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 5a14ff96f4e2ba139382672dc34ca236f3b361dc
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.12.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 7.1.1, OCC 7.3.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
Installed mods: 
  * ThreadProfile 1.83.0
  * A2plus 0.4.59
  * Curves 0.5.8
  * ExtremeProDark 1.0.4
  * Plot 2022.4.17
  * fasteners 0.4.6
  * sheetmetal 0.2.57

I have to say in over 5 years of using FreeCAD I have never needed to do this action but everyday is a learning day.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

I can't reproduce. May one give a detailed process to reproduce ?
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

Assuming I've followed the video correctly, it's quite easy, in Sketcher if the cursor is directly above any geometry or constraint (i.e. not in clear 3D space) then the content menu will not function.

In Blender I do use this function quite a bit (without really realising it) but I suppose a new user to FreeCAD may think if they right-click on a vertex to create a new piece of geometry it would start from that selected vertex but I don't believe that's ever been the case but I'd need to look at my old Windows builds for sure.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Syres wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:28 am Assuming I've followed the video correctly, it's quite easy, in Sketcher if the cursor is directly above any geometry or constraint (i.e. not in clear 3D space) then the content menu will not function.

In Blender I do use this function quite a bit (without really realising it) but I suppose a new user to FreeCAD may think if they right-click on a vertex to create a new piece of geometry it would start from that selected vertex but I don't believe that's ever been the case but I'd need to look at my old Windows builds for sure.
:? This is absolutely not how I understand the issue.
To me the OP see the following issue : select a tool (for example "vertical constraint") without anything selected so you're in continuous mode. Then right click => it looks like the tool is correctly disabled, but as soon as mouse comes over a constraint/geometry, the tool is "magically" re-activated.
ganjaccount

Post by ganjaccount »

openBrain wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:34 am
Syres wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 10:28 am Assuming I've followed the video correctly, it's quite easy, in Sketcher if the cursor is directly above any geometry or constraint (i.e. not in clear 3D space) then the content menu will not function.

:? This is absolutely not how I understand the issue.
OpenBrain is correct in describing my issue (I think). I have seen this behavior with lots of tools, though. It was especially aggravating when I was following a tutorial using the poly-line tool. Does this mean the behavior is, indeed, not what's supposed to happen? I thought maybe I was missing something.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

The behavior seems abnormal but we miss a lot of info to diagnose.
Mouse navigation style? (very) detailed procedure to reproduce?
ganjaccount

Post by ganjaccount »

openBrain wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 4:26 pm The behavior seems abnormal but we miss a lot of info to diagnose.
Mouse navigation style? (very) detailed procedure to reproduce?
Navigation style: TinkerCad - I just tried it with blender and a few others, and CANNOT reproduce the behavior with the other navigation styles. It seems to be an issue with the TinkerCad navigation style.

To reproduce:

Select TinkerCad navigation. Select a tool in sketch mode. Use the tool. Right click to exit the tool.

This is where it diverges in Windows and Debian.

In Windows: Upon right clicking, the tool appears to exit and the standard cursor shows. The moment the mouse is moved, the tool reactivates, regardless of where it is in relation to any objects on the page.

In Debian: Upon right clicking, the tool appears to exit, and the standard cursor shows until it is moved over an object on the screen, at which point the tool reactivates.

I hope that's helpful. I didn't realize it was navigation style specific. I wish I was more familiar with the software, as I'd probably be a lot more on the ball in terms zeroing in on where the issue is! Thanks for your assistance.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

ganjaccount wrote: Wed Sep 28, 2022 5:42 pm I hope that's helpful. I didn't realize it was navigation style specific. I wish I was more familiar with the software, as I'd probably be a lot more on the ball in terms zeroing in on where the issue is! Thanks for your assistance.
Very helpful yes. And see that you yourself narrowed down the issue just replying the questions. :)
No problem you don't know the software, spending time trying some things and providing info is great. ;)
Will investigate in coming days and keep you updated (or maybe someone else will do faster than me :P).