[Solved: Toponaming] Changing base sketch breaks Part Design

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Cadder

[Solved: Toponaming] Changing base sketch breaks Part Design

Post by Cadder »

Hi, in Part Design sketches and their elements can completely break next steps as all attachment to faces, edges, etc. is done just via element names, not via some immutable id.

So if we add/remove edge/face in base sketch/object this attachment could become completely broken. I believe it's something widely known, is there open bug, workaround?

Is it worth to give example, or everybody encounter this problem?

Thanks.
Last edited by Kunda1 on Sat Sep 24, 2022 8:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Changing base sketch breaksPart Design

Post by chrisb »

Cadder wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:20 pm or everybody encounter this problem?
Yes, everybody knows it and with much luck there will be improvements in the next version. If you follow the advice for creating stable models you can drastically improve stability of your models. There remain only few tools relying on generated geometry such as chamfer, fillet, thickness.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Cadder

Post by Cadder »

Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:21 pm Topological_naming_problem aka TNP
I was sure I'm not alone :lol:
chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:40 pm advice for creating stable models
Unfortunately it adds a lot of work - instead of just stick to needed place/reference user need calculate positions. :(
I'll try realthunder fork.

Thanks you all!
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Cadder wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:22 pm
Shalmeneser wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:21 pm Topological_naming_problem aka TNP
I was sure I'm not alone :lol:
chrisb wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 4:40 pm advice for creating stable models
Unfortunately it adds a lot of work - instead of just stick to needed place/reference user need calculate positions. :(
I'll try realthunder fork.

Thanks you all!
I know it is an unpopular opinion... But, slapping sketches on generated geometry with reckless abandon is not necessarily good practice. With or without TNP.

But, you are correct, the Linkstage3 version will allow this sort of modeling. But, even there TNP is only mitigated, not 100% gone.

Yes, there are those who say, it is good enough that it is like being 100%...but, if it is that good, then the tools provided to fix it aren't necessary, right? 8-)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Cadder

Post by Cadder »

drmacro wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:54 pm slapping sketches on generated geometry with reckless abandon is not necessarily good practice
May be from scientific point of view it's not good, but for me, as home user making models for 3D printing ability bind object to some corner or side is "must have" feature.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Cadder wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 6:26 pm
drmacro wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:54 pm slapping sketches on generated geometry with reckless abandon is not necessarily good practice
May be from scientific point of view it's not good, but for me, as home user making models for 3D printing ability bind object to some corner or side is "must have" feature.
I understand that many aren't interested in advanced skills or even long term model maintenance. And that ok to. ;)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Changing base sketch breaks Part Design

Post by Kunda1 »

You can use Realthunder's Link branch if you want where he has a solution of toponaming. But learning how to use datum planes makes models more sustainable and transferable between CAD programs easier.
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Cadder wrote: Sat Sep 24, 2022 5:22 pm ... user need calculate positions. :(
For the record, this not true.