[solved] TechDraw Deleting "cosmetic" objects

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [solved] TechDraw Deleting "cosmetic" objects

Post by chrisb »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 1:19 pm A document object for each vertex/line/etc? Could make the tree very busy, but would simplify the code for cosmetic add/change/delete.
That's what I had in mind. I don't use many of the cosmetic lines, because TechDraw provides the most important things natively anyway. And if the tree gets too crowded, I collapse it.

@domad, you have done rather complicated cosmetic stuff. What is the approximate number of cosmetic elements in a non trivial model?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

chrisb wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 2:42 pm ....
@domad, you have done rather complicated cosmetic stuff. What is the approximate number of cosmetic elements in a non trivial model?
Hi @chrisb, greetings to the Community!
Honestly I have never done a count, but I suppose it is several hundred (many cosmetic objects are deleted to lighten the file and its storage), but now that you have put the "flea in my ear" at the next experiment I will try to do the count.
Obviously the most complex things are the orthogonal axonometric dimensions because you have to create many precise (!) Additional cosmetic vertices to determine the position, direction and measure not being able to set as usually done in "Draft" when we draw a line using the functions snaps.
Certainly having the possibility to draw "Draft" objects (lines, polylines, arcs, etc.) by using snaps in TechDraw would be the optimal solution, but I realize the great difficulty / complication in coding similar functions in TechDraw, therefore it's okay as it is, you just need to have a little more patience and come up with some tricks to overcome the inevitable difficulties. But we know that orthogonal isometric dimensions are a separate thing from orthogonal projections, in fact they are considered by various experts to be real works of art.
Think of the exploded views, in many cases quoted in full, made 40/50 years ago by hand using ruler, square, curvilinear, rims, etc. and pencil then it was necessary to know the geometry of the markings / constructions (who was more fortunate had the drafting machine), then "polished" with India ink and then proceeded to the heliocopy.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Would it be possible to construct these lines with Draft wb then show them (via a sketch ?) inside TechDraw ?
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Shalmeneser wrote: Fri Sep 23, 2022 4:08 pm Would it be possible to construct these lines with Draft wb then show them (via a sketch ?) inside TechDraw ?
Hi @Shalm, hello to the Community!
Absolutely yes! .. Here's how to do it step by step: https://forum.freecad.org/viewtopic.php ... 678ac07717