Draft analysis - Plastic Part Design

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Draft analysis - Plastic Part Design

Post by chrisb »

Alexander Egistov wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:44 pm So what's up with childish attitude in my inquiry into FreeCad's inneptitude?
All the arguments are still valid. I wonder though, why you are still here?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Alexander Egistov wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 3:44 pm So what's up with childish attitude in my inquiry into FreeCad's inneptitude?
You have been told many times that there is no central programming staff that creates that sort of function. All of those extras beyond the core functions are created by interested users. There are hundreds of those extra functions.

When and if some interested user steps up and creates a package that does your analysis then it will happen.

As simple as that.

Gene
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

It should be possible to display red lines when normal vectors orientation of a face is above a threshold.
Attachments
Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG (65.29 KiB) Viewed 1249 times
Alexander Egistov

Post by Alexander Egistov »

GeneFC wrote: Sat Jan 28, 2023 5:05 pm
You have been told many times that there is no central programming staff that creates that sort of function. All of those extras beyond the core functions are created by interested users. There are hundreds of those extra functions.

When and if some interested user steps up and creates a package that does your analysis then it will happen.

As simple as that.

Gene

1. If there is no "central programming staff" which creates core functionalities of the program, then who makes new versions of FreeCad? Obviously there is a team of people or at least one person who manages this project thus some sort of an organisation, a core team exists.

2. "You have been told many times that there is no central programming staff that creates that sort of function. " Most of the responses to my questions were along the lines - "why don't you make it" and "it's rather obscure". Some people have proposed workarounds using other programs. You appear to be confused about the matter.

3. Your explanation towards the childish attitude of "why don't you do it yourself" and even more absurd "Give me all the advantages but don't expect me to do anything for it." (free/opensource software - that's what it is, free software for which you do nothing for it) appears to be a bit disconnected from reality.
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Alexander Egistov wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:50 pm ...
There are core developers few and rather busy in improving FreeCAD and making thing works.

Usually as GeneFC has told you most of the non core development like WB are done by "interested people" who use their unpaid spare time to code such WB.

Or you could hire someone to code what you want to be done.

Kind regards.

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Alexander Egistov

onekk wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 9:35 pm
Alexander Egistov wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:50 pm ...
There are core developers few and rather busy in improving FreeCAD and making thing works.

Usually as GeneFC has told you most of the non core development like WB are done by "interested people" who use their unpaid spare time to code such WB.

Or you could hire someone to code what you want to be done.

Kind regards.

Carlo D.
Thank you for your polite response, Karlo.

"Or you could hire someone to code what you want to be done." - that's an option that some big companies could actually use, I'll, for the time being, will stick to Solid Edge - the community edition is completely free and no strings attached, and, at this time is more functional than FreeCad.

But let me get that right, there is a small core team and they are quite busy making the basic functionality work well, yet alone the fancy bells and whistles like draft analisis and etc.?

In that case, why are they not expanding their team, hiring more people, and making this into a commercial level CAD? What stands in their way? A lack of funding?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Alexander Egistov wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:13 am In that case, why are they not expanding their team, hiring more people, and making this into a commercial level CAD? What stands in their way? A lack of funding?
There are no employees at all. There is essentially no funding. This is a purely volunteer endeavor.

Gene
Alexander Egistov

GeneFC wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:01 am
Alexander Egistov wrote: Mon Jan 30, 2023 3:13 am In that case, why are they not expanding their team, hiring more people, and making this into a commercial level CAD? What stands in their way? A lack of funding?
There are no employees at all. There is essentially no funding. This is a purely volunteer endeavor.

Gene
How about a crowd funding campaign? It has worked for many things and people have gathered millions of dollars, and, to be honest, I wouldn't mind participating in one and would donate a couple thousand $$, just to see the hegemony of the proprietary CAD software toppled and trampled into the dirt.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Alexander Egistov wrote: Sun Feb 12, 2023 7:42 pm How about a crowd funding campaign?
It worked for FreeCAD for the recently tackled issue of additional functions for Sketcher B-splines. I think it's a good idea to raise funds for implementing concrete requirements.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Keep in mind that not too long ago everyone was doing this in their spare time, many of the devs are not actually interested in working full time on this, they prefer their current jobs. Even so, things are slowly moving towards this, now there is a company looking to work on developing FreeCAD and offering services around it, checkout ondsel.com
Besides this the FreeCAD Project Association has been created not too long ago and is now offering smallish development grants and hopefully in the future will be able to hire full time devs, all the legal stuff for this is not in place yet though and while there is much more funding than before it's still nowhere near the kind of money the big players are using.
For the specific feature you want, you could offer a bounty for developing this feature.

tldr: they are, but we're not there yet