Draft analysis - Plastic Part Design

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Re: Draft analysis - Plastic Part Design

Post by adrianinsaval »

Alexander Egistov wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:47 pm 3. Why doesn't the team who makes FreeCAD writes such fundamental things for FreeCAD?
Why don't you?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:07 pm
Alexander Egistov wrote: Tue Jan 17, 2023 4:47 pm 3. Why doesn't the team who makes FreeCAD writes such fundamental things for FreeCAD?
Why don't you?
Indeed! There is no "we" and "they", because there is no "We buy it" and "they develop it". Please note that e.g. the FEM workbench was mainly driven by bernd, who didn't know how to program at all before he came to FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

To add some extra salt in it, a draft analysis function is never in a professional standard CAD license. (At least i never saw it without extra license). Such an analysis function comes often buried with other function licenses, which costs extra. Besides that it is not essential. Even i made some cast parts, i never needed. Also i would say, up to three extra sliders it is also pretty doable in injection molding without that function and FreeCAD is not good atm to do such molding injection parts, so need is not here atm.

Greetings
user1234
Alexander Egistov

Post by Alexander Egistov »

adrianinsaval wrote: Fri Jan 20, 2023 6:07 pm
Why don't you?

Because I am not the developer of this piece of software nor am I a software engineer.

As much as I would like to use a free operating system such as linux with a completely free, no strings attached CAD, coding EVERY single missing feature in it, instead of just using the multitude of free, for educational and hobbiest , such as SolidEdge and Kompass 3d to make a mold, this whole "write it from scratch" approach is too monumental for me, and thus I will just use SolidEdge.

But hey, thanks for your time and making it clear that not only FreeCad is still in it's diapers and shouldn't be touched, at least, not yet, with a 10 foot stick.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

Alexander Egistov wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:39 am Because I am not the developer of this piece of software nor am I a software engineer.
typical case of:
Give me all the advantages but don't expect me to do anything for it.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:49 am Give me all the advantages but don't expect me to do anything for it.
Troll or not troll? There is more than just coding, such as proposals how it could be integrated into the existing workbenches, how the GUI could be organized, ...
The recurring question why something is not available in FreeCAD is easy to answer: because it is not implemented yet.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
user1234
Veteran

Post by user1234 »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:32 am There is more than just coding
Of course! But his post was only about "i want all for free and i want all now".

Greetings
user1234
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

user1234 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 8:38 am Of course! But his post was only about "i want all for free and i want all now".
Sorry if I was unclear. I didn't mean you to be a troll :) .
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Here are just a few more test examples from MeshLab with a bit more realistic mold shape...

First the few different meshes I have tried to export from FreeCAD (Mesh Design WB -> Meshes -> Create mesh from shape..., then export as stl)
mesh.jpg
mesh.jpg (113.39 KiB) Viewed 1163 times

Test of the draft analyses with Filters -> Range Map -> Select Faces by view angle (set view to orto and top (numpad 5 and 1), then in the tool dialog set the get view point from view position and set the angle threshold to 90, then in the layer dialog move selected faces to another layer, repeat for angle threshold 92, then set different colors to different layers) ... The right mesh type seems to give a more clean visual result in this case
draft.jpg
draft.jpg (68.64 KiB) Viewed 1163 times

And a test of the thickness analysis using Filters -> Color Creation and Processing -> Shape Diameter Function (then use the Quality Mapper tool (colored bunny in the toolbar) and play around with the histogram settings) ... In this case the finer (middle and left) mesh types seem to work better
thicknes.jpg
thicknes.jpg (102.61 KiB) Viewed 1163 times

And the test model as step solid if others want to play and test it a bit more
Solid.zip
(279.95 KiB) Downloaded 21 times

Last edited by saso on Wed Feb 01, 2023 6:47 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Alexander Egistov

Post by Alexander Egistov »

user1234 wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:49 am
Alexander Egistov wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 5:39 am Because I am not the developer of this piece of software nor am I a software engineer.
typical case of:
Give me all the advantages but don't expect me to do anything for it.

Again. As I said - I can use a completely free package for my needs - either Kompas 3D or Solid Edge. Both are free for personal / educational use. Both are very capable. And both give me all the advantages without expecting me to do anything besides downloading the software. So what's up with childish attitude in my inquiry into FreeCad's inneptitude?