Draft analysis - Plastic Part Design

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Troppo

Re: Draft analysis - Plastic Part Design

Post by Troppo »

onekk wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:12 pm
Troppo wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 2:23 pm
Ok now it is clear, what you are in need for.

Now it is clear that you are speaking of "molded parts" (plastica estrusa as I think you are Italian like me).

I doubt that something like this is actually available on FC.

As it is quite "specialized" and slightly beyond the "usual modelling tasks", as it involve some data analysis and extraction of geometrical data from the model, plus the organization of the computed data and a proper "visual report" using a graph and colorizing properly faces on the model.

I'm curious if this a usual thing supplied with stock version of the commercial CAD you have mentioned, or it is done using some specialized Addon?

IMHO it is not an easy task as it involve dealing also with the "Visualization Part" of FC, other than with surfaces, normals and such genre of things, but I'm not too skilled with this genre of things, I usually do "3d models" and I've done some "ad hoc" WorkBenches or less complicated programs for customers around the world.

I think that it will be a good challenge for some Macro creators and maybe now that the problem is explained someone will answer with some proposal.

Best Regards

Carlo D.
Ciao amico Carlo,Io non sono italiano ,mio bisnonno e bisnonna immigrato da Rovigo nel 1890.
Sono brasiliano, in realtà italo-brasiliano

Correct this application is very regular resource...all 3DCAD files have in yours basic functions Draft Analysis
like a Autodesk Inventor,SolidWorks,SolidEdge,Catia,NX....so is a usully resource.
In Plastic Injection Design in product and Tooling (parte e stampo a iniezione di plastica).
Fiber Glasses,carbon..anyway use this.
I Try to make a training,and book in Brasil about plastic Design and would to use Freecad as a teaching medium.
Another usyally resorce is Thickness analysis...use to verify with visual colors all Thickness about part (for prevent sink mark,warpage..etc..etc.)
So...how can we implement this feature in FreeCAD?
I would really like to help to implement this our these.
thanks a lot for all
Grazie amico mio
Attachments
thich.JPG
thich.JPG (74.95 KiB) Viewed 1715 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Troppo

Post by Troppo »

Shalmeneser wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:50 pm FEM_Workbench ?
Hello
Is another cadsystems is not a FEM aplication.
Application avaliable in basic aplications
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

Troppo wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:44 pm ...
thanks a lot for all
Grazie amico mio
Thank for your kindness.

For your problem, let's see if some skilled macro author will step in and propose something.

It will be an interesting addition, but it is far beyond my skills, as it involve many aspect of FC I0m not very skilled in:

Some other infos will be interesting and maybe useful for others:
  • You intend to start with model done natively in FC or imported from other formats.
  • What license have the future book, as if it is opensource, or similar maybe someone is available to work, without being payed, if it will be a commercial product, it will be good to be clear from start.
Regards

Carlo D.

PS side note: don't quote whole messages, some lines will suffice to make clear if needed from what question or passage the post is related.

You could edit already posted messages.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

it can be done manually by slicing the part. Curves Wb have two useful tools: Reflect Lines + Comb Plot can help.
By a such tools by coloring faces should be great to have.
Troppo

Post by Troppo »

onekk wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:55 pm
Troppo wrote: Tue Aug 30, 2022 3:44 pm ...
thanks a lot for all
Grazie amico mio
Thank for your kindness.

For your problem, let's see if some skilled macro author will step in and propose something.

It will be an interesting addition, but it is far beyond my skills, as it involve many aspect of FC I0m not very skilled in:

Some other infos will be interesting and maybe useful for others:
  • You intend to start with model done natively in FC or imported from other formats.
  • What license have the future book, as if it is opensource, or similar maybe someone is available to work, without being payed, if it will be a commercial product, it will be good to be clear from start.
Regards

Carlo D.

PS side note: don't quote whole messages, some lines will suffice to make clear if needed from what question or passage the post is related.

You could edit already posted messages.
Hello.
Absolutely free,book and training.
Plastic Design Part in a FreeCad for Catia and anothers 3D cad Users
Anyone in the group chosen us in this new feature/Features?
Thanks a lot.
Alexander Egistov

Post by Alexander Egistov »

Greetings friends,
I am curious - why doesn't FreeCad has something as basic as mold draft analisis - this is a basic thing for most CAD systems, and if FreeCad is intended for makers and hobbyist, adding an ability to analize your molds, rather than importing them into different softwares, analizing them, and then working on them again, would be very useful when you have to create your own composite materials mold on a home made CNC.

It is mind boggling that there are so many different addons, but this one is not inlcluded.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Alexander Egistov wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:55 am It is mind boggling that there are so many different addons, but this one is not inlcluded.
Start coding. :!: :!: :!:

Seriously, something rather obscure for the great majority of users only happens when an interested person takes on the task.

Gene
freedman
Veteran

Post by freedman »

It might be worth asking in the FEM section. To do FEM they would need to know thickness to calculate strength. Not sure how to they do it and what data is available.

I have done molded plastic parts and I rely on looking at the cross sections.

I know there has been work on constraining B-splines, this could useful to control thickness.
Alexander Egistov

Post by Alexander Egistov »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:29 pm
Alexander Egistov wrote: Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:55 am It is mind boggling that there are so many different addons, but this one is not inlcluded.
Start coding. :!: :!: :!:

Seriously, something rather obscure for the great majority of users only happens when an interested person takes on the task.

Gene

1. Mold draft analysis is very common and every body who wants to make a part out of composites or for injection molding needs to use one, including anybody who's engaging in hobbyist aviation.

2. It would take me much more effort and time to code than to buy a CAD or pay for subscription of something like fusion 360, or even use the completely free, for personal use, Solid Edge that includes not only draft analysis but simulation and surface unfolding. If anything I am much more motivated now to use the close sourced tools, because they can get the job done, without you having to reinvent the wheel.

3. Why doesn't the team who makes FreeCAD writes such fundamental things for FreeCAD?