Pressing "R" moves camera

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kborgen

Pressing "R" moves camera

Post by kborgen »

Hi,

I changed my rectangle and radius hotkey to R and Shift+R. Since I did that I noticed it will reset or move my camera location when in the sketch workbench. I looked through the other hotkeys to see if I was overriding something with the view and as far as I can tell I'm not. To make sure I changed removed the R and shift+R and still had the same results. Next, I thought it might be because I have my navigation mode as Blender. I changed that to CAD and had the same results.

I'm not sure if I am missing something or if there is an error in the hotkey page.

Thanks
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Pressing "R" moves camera

Post by chrisb »

I think it has been always like that: When you enter Sketcher, the plane is reoriented orthogonal to the viewing axis.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kborgen

Post by kborgen »

Apologies for the slow response. I made a video showing the two different behaviors. https://youtu.be/0xU2IHG4y5E. The first part shows how the camera rotates 90 deg, pans, and zooms in on a section of the part. After a save and restart doing the same action does not yield the same result.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

At 0:02 you are pressing which keys? To help the experts, please attach your full FreeCAD info as described in the IMPORTANT forum rules linked above.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kborgen

Post by kborgen »

I zoom in a bit with scroll up and then press the "R" key. I have R bound to create rectangle, but have the same behavior with it unbound.

Code: Select all

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.1.29410 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-20
Hash: f5d13554ecc7a456fb6e970568ae5c74ba727563
Python 3.8.10, Qt 5.15.2, Coin 4.0.1, Vtk 8.2.0, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Installed mods: 
  * A2plus
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Do you see the same behaviour in 0.21? If so: can you completely reset configuration with the button in the preferences. Another possibility is to delete your config files or to move them in case you want to restore them. Then you change only the R key. Does it still behave like that?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

This is a wild guess but are you perhaps by mistake pressing a number key? like 4 or 5 which are near R at least in my keyboard. Those are bound to some specific views and might the cause of your issue. Another possibility is a hardware issue with your keyboard that is sending a number signal too or instead when you press R, use some software to monitor your key inputs and test it out again.
kborgen

Post by kborgen »

chrisb wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:47 pm Do you see the same behaviour in 0.21?
Im not sure I follow the only version I see is 0.20.1?
chrisb wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:47 pm Another possibility is to delete your config files or to move them in case you want to restore them. Then you change only the R key. Does it still behave like that?
I deleted the config files and reinstalled 0.20.1. Same behavior even before rebinding R. I made another video as I figured out a bit more. The behavior seems to persist in the part design workbench as well. In both the part design and sketcher it wants return to the same view, pan, and zoom location.
adrianinsaval wrote: Tue Sep 06, 2022 2:50 pm This is a wild guess but are you perhaps by mistake pressing a number key? like 4 or 5 which are near R at least in my keyboard. Those are bound to some specific views and might the cause of your issue. Another possibility is a hardware issue with your keyboard that is sending a number signal too or instead when you press R, use some software to monitor your key inputs and test it out again.
Im not hitting the number keys above. I checked and it is only sending R when pressed. At times it also doesn't change the view only zooms and pans.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You find current 0.21 here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-AppI ... kly-builds.

We have seen in the past some weird behaviour if other USB devices are attached , e.g. a joystick.
kborgen

Post by kborgen »

I download the 0.21 and I am seeing the same behavior. For USB devices I have mouse, keyboard, webcam, and headphones.

At the moment I cant reproduce the error on command and I don't know what triggers it. It seems to happen more as I keep working on a part, but that may be a bad conclusion. I will keep an eye out and see if I can make steps to repeat it.