Part Design Grid Units

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Part Design Grid Units

Post by chrisb »

Shalmeneser wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:19 pm @chrisb : is there not a feature request to resize all the sketch with the 1st dimension ? (in order not to deform badly this sketch)
I think so. Will have a look.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

chrisb wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 10:44 pm
Shalmeneser wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:19 pm @chrisb : is there not a feature request to resize all the sketch with the 1st dimension ? (in order not to deform badly this sketch)
I think so. Will have a look.
I couldn't find it. But it may be due to my limited Github search capabilities. I couldn't filter Sketcher issues.

Edit: I found how to filter Sketcher issues. Nevertheless I didn't find such ticket. It would be good to have a dedicated discussion to link to a ticket.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

The cursor coordinates should respect the system unit schema setting after this git commit dd14b42829.

There are 2 new settings on the Display tab in Sketcher preferences:
newSketcherSettings.png
newSketcherSettings.png (20.26 KiB) Viewed 869 times
"Show coordinates beside cursor while editing" turns the coordinate display on/off.
"Use system decimals setting for cursor coordinates" will use use the system decimals setting instead of the original 1 decimal place display.

Multi-unit schemas like US Building (lengths in ft/in) or Imperial Civil (angles in DMS) will ignore the new "Use system decimals" setting.
FreeCADnewb!

Post by FreeCADnewb! »

@wandererfan That's great. I installed FreeCAD from the Mint repo so I guess I'll have to wait until it gets updated there before I can install the latest and greatest.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

@wandererfan That's great so we can advise noobs to switch this off.

Brilliant best way to avoid confusion.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

FreeCADnewb! wrote: Wed Aug 31, 2022 11:03 pm @wandererfan That's great. I installed FreeCAD from the Mint repo so I guess I'll have to wait until it gets updated there before I can install the latest and greatest.
You would have to wait like 2 years for that! Probably best to use the next dev appimage or I can ask for a beta build of the flatpak if you want.
FreeCADnewb!

Post by FreeCADnewb! »

@adrianinsaval Thank you for your post. Do you know if a Debian installation file is ever created, a .deb file, to install FreeCAD from? If not, that's OK. I've never done this but do you know if an Appimage file of FreeCAD can be run side-by-side with an installation of FreeCAD?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

Some deb packages are auto generated but for Ubuntu not Debian and currently they are broken so not recommended at all, and yes it's perfectly possible to run the appimage side by side with the distro package
FreeCADnewb!

Post by FreeCADnewb! »

@adrianinsaval I would try a new Appimage then.
rocketrail

Post by rocketrail »

@FreeCADnewb! Did you ever get the inches to show and not the mm?