Part Design Grid Units

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FreeCADnewb!

Re: Part Design Grid Units

Post by FreeCADnewb! »

@Bance When I'm designing, I'm actually looking at where, for instance, whatever I'm designing begins and ends and if it fits in the general context of what I'm designing; it gives me an overall look. I use it all of the time in other software. You and I just see it differently. Enough on that.

@wandererfan As a former software developer, I would put the coordinates in the correct units and to what decimal place the user wants to see the coordinates in. I would also give the user a toggle somewhere in the GUI to enable or disable being able to view the coordinates. Give the user a choice. This satisfies both myself and Bance. A twofer if you will... That's my vote.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

FreeCADnewb! wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:03 pmThat's my vote.
Sorry this is no democracy, nobody has votes!
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

wandererfan wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 12:00 am ....
+1 for me as information could be useful even if a sketch is constraint, as I could model a sketch placing the point near the real position and then apply the correct constraint.

I know that modifying 40 places is a pita, but, probably it will be a good addition, and probably using StyleSheet would be another good addition, as there are around some efforts to personalize the interface that will benefit in such a modification done using a stylesheet.

As example.

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 02#p621302

and maybe:

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 06#p621406

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

onekk wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 3:22 pm using StyleSheet would be another good addition, as there are around some efforts to personalize the interface that will benefit in such a modification done using a stylesheet.
I only know about stylesheets in the context of Qt Widgets. This text is using Coin SbString. Are there stylesheets for Coin?

There are a bunch of preference settings for Sketcher. I imagine one of them controls the cursor text?
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

I agree that sketcher is constraint based not mouse precision based, but placing elements near their intended size helps so it doesn't deform too badly (and possibly fail to solve) when aplying the constraints one by one. So IMO there is some value in the coordinates being displayed, as I usually work in metric I do not care much about this but I see it can be confusing and counterproductive for those working on inches.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I work in inches, but I never even noticed the text in mm. :lol:

In any case, precision to 4 decimals seems a bit over the top.

Gene
FreeCADnewb!

Post by FreeCADnewb! »

@GeneFC 4 decimal places may seem over the top to you but in precision machining, it's not over the top at all. The last time I checked, 11/16 of an inch is .6875, 4 decimal places. Now you will probably say something about rounding, etc. My personal cutoff is 4 decimal places. That's how I like to work. :D
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

@chrisb : is there not a feature request to resize all the sketch with the 1st dimension ? (in order not to deform badly this sketch)
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

FreeCADnewb! wrote: Mon Aug 29, 2022 9:06 pm 4 decimal places may seem over the top to you but in precision machining, it's not over the top at all.
I try to always do precision machining. I agree that 4 decimals is routine for such use.

However, for just dragging something on a screen it seems just a bit much. Unless your screen has at least 10,000 pixels it is hard to see how 4 decimal places does much good.

I am just ragging. I don't really care how many decimal places you want. :lol:

But I still have this sense that you are using FreeCAD sketcher in a manner that it was not designed for.

Gene
FreeCADnewb!

Post by FreeCADnewb! »

@GeneFC Noted. :lol: