Part Design Grid Units

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
FreeCADnewb!

Re: Part Design Grid Units

Post by FreeCADnewb! »

@wandererfan You have my vote :D .
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

This is a waste of time.

Sketcher is constraint based not location or snap based, knowing exactly where the cursor is doesn't matter.
FreeCADnewb!

Post by FreeCADnewb! »

@Bance You must be a very advanced user. My apologies for being so ignorant. Everyone likely has an understanding that FreeCAD/Sketcher is constraint based. Most, if not all, people using parametric design software have this understanding. However, other tools support this such as Solidworks (I own), Fusion 360 (I used a lot), and is a nice function to have. I don't use this feature for constraints...I use it to get ideas on my part designs. I want to support FreeCAD and tell all of my acquaintances that FreeCAD is a very good choice for their designs so I don't believe asking for one feature is a wast of time. My apologies for wasting your time.
mfro

Post by mfro »

Grid settings are saved to the sketch at the time of initial creation, later changes in preferences will only affect existing sketches if you apply them with the respective file open. There is a button in the preferences panel that will do it for you.
Cheers,
Markus
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

Bance wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 6:51 am This is a waste of time.
Yes and no. I don't pay any attention to the coordinate display for the reasons you mentioned (and it is also too small for my tired eyes), but if we are going to display coordinates, they should be in the correct units. We should do it right, or not do it at all.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

wandererfan wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:00 pmWe should do it right, or not do it at all.
OK I agree with that.
FreeCADnewb! wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:12 pmMy apologies for being so ignorant.
FreeCADnewb! wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 1:12 pmMy apologies for wasting your time.
No need to apologise, It isn't personal, I just think that there are more useful things that could employ the devs, but in the end they do the work they want to, they are volunteers after all. I'm just grateful for the super SW they produce.
FreeCADnewb!

Post by FreeCADnewb! »

@wandererfan Thank you for your response. I only pay attention to coordinates for ideas and to get relational size to the part(s) I'm working on, etc... From that, I can know immediately if what I'm working on is acceptable, not unlike what I've done with the other software I own and use. Absolutely, I agree that they should be the correct units. If users don't want to see the coordinates displayed, add that feature and allow them to toggle it somewhere in the GUI. When I used to be a software developer, you had to do it right or I had undocumented features, certainly a nice way to say it's not working correctly or as expected.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

FreeCADnewb! wrote: Sat Aug 27, 2022 2:13 pm I only pay attention to coordinates for ideas and to get relational size to the part(s) I'm working on, etc.
That can be seen from a grid....
FreeCADnewb!

Post by FreeCADnewb! »

@Bance I keep my eyes on the part, not the grid. We may agree to disagree but it's how I work, not how you work.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Sounds like you're fixated on the cursor actually..... but each to their own.

My opinion is that the coord's should not be shown, I think get rid of them. Wandererfan wanted feedback from the community that's mine.