Part Design Grid Units

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Part Design Grid Units

Post by GeneFC »

wandererfan wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 12:34 pm I believe this is referring to the small text beside the cursor when moving sketch objects.
I see this. Yes, the numbers are metric.

Mouse Grid.jpg
Mouse Grid.jpg (55.97 KiB) Viewed 1033 times

I never use the dimensions, since I almost always want to just get the object close enough to apply actual constraints. Attempting to position by using a "grid" can easily lead to problems with elements remaining unconnected.

Gene
FreeCADnewb!

Post by FreeCADnewb! »

@GeneFC That's exactly what I'm talking about, the X, Y mouse coordinate. From other parametric software packages I've used, it's very helpful to me. If I tell FreeCAD that I want inches to 4 decimal places, that's what I want to see. So it is an undocumented feature.

@openBrain I see the float in the line you are referencing in the C++ file. I would rather just install FreeCAD and configure it in the GUI; I'm all about the easy. Thanks for pointing this out though.

So there isn't a way to configure inches to 4 decimal places in the GUI, even though I entered the correct settings???
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

FreeCADnewb! wrote: Thu Aug 25, 2022 9:15 pm So there isn't a way to configure inches to 4 decimal places in the GUI, even though I entered the correct settings???
I suspect this little item is totally unaware of the unit settings in Preferences.

I still have this nagging feeling that you are heading toward disaster. Sketcher is based on constraints, not on position accuracy to 4 decimal places. But that is just me. :shock:

Gene
FreeCADnewb!

Post by FreeCADnewb! »

@GeneFC When drawing a part, I don't use the inches at 4 decimal points to be exact, I use it to get me really close so I can get a reference to what I'm drawing and then I use size constraints after.

Do the developers monitor this forum? If not, could someone report this undocumented feature to the developers?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

FreeCADnewb! wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:27 am Do the developers monitor this forum?
Yes.

Could you add screenshots of items you are talking about, just so we are sure what you're talking about?
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

FreeCADnewb! wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 1:27 am could someone report this undocumented feature to the developers?
The usual method is to enter a feature request on github.

But first, please follow the advice from openBrain and discuss a bit more here to make sure the request is for the correct feature.

Gene
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

There are approx 40 places where the cursor text is set in Sketcher/Gui and none of them are unit aware. Here is one of them changed to display units. (Haven't figured out how to make a screen grab without moving the cursor out of view. :( )
sketcherCursorDisplay_FtIn.png
sketcherCursorDisplay_FtIn.png (8.55 KiB) Viewed 806 times
sketcherCursorDisplay_decimalInch.png
sketcherCursorDisplay_decimalInch.png (9.33 KiB) Viewed 806 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

wandererfan wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 6:41 pm (Haven't figured out how to make a screen grab without moving the cursor out of view. :( )
Classic problem!

I use the Print Screen key on the keyboard and then cut the resulting image down to the appropriate size. Usually allows the cursor or some selection to be shown.

Gene
FreeCADnewb!

Post by FreeCADnewb! »

@wandererfan Do you think those approximately 40 places in Sketcher/GUI should be unit aware? As a user, some might enjoy that feature. Your second image, sketcherCursorDisplay_decimalInch.png, is what I would like to see. Apparently you know where to configure FreeCAD to display what I'm looking for. Could you please share where those settings are or what you did?
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

FreeCADnewb! wrote: Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:57 pm Apparently you know where to configure FreeCAD to display what I'm looking for. Could you please share where those settings are or what you did?
It isn't configurable. I changed the code in 1 of the 40 places to see what it would look like.

Sketcher currently displays the coordinates in reduced precision (1.2 instead of 1.2345). To duplicate that in a unit aware fashion is a pita. Displaying the coordinates showing the unit and the number of decimals from the Units preference tab is much easier.

I don't use the coordinate display, so I need some feedback from the community on the acceptability of showing (1.2345 mm, 6.7890 mm) vs the current (1.2, 6.7). Showing multi-unit schema (say Ft/In or DMS) values in reduced precision looks particularly nasty.