FreeCad forces me to save a file when a .step file is loaded.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leoheck
Veteran

Re: FreeCad forces me to save a file when a .step file is loaded.

Post by leoheck »

I also would like to add that the only thing that I agree with is to keep the Export Settings Present When We Are Exporting Things.

Export Settings may change every time we are exporting something.
However, there might be some settings that can be set to default because there are the ones the users use most.

But the choices about the export have to be made while exporting something.

For instance, try Exporting something on Gimp.
First, you show the extension, which will tell which format is going to be used.
Then regarding that choice, a piece of information will be asked to configure that kind o file.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

But the choices about the export have to be made while exporting something.
this will break each automation exporting script, and it will add an extra step in the exporting process ...
the dialog, if added, at least should be optionally
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Zolko wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 1:24 pm I disagree : invisible objects shouldn't be exported in a STEP file by default. Else, how do you export a subset of a large assembly ?
1) invisible objects should be exported as default, IMO. If you want to share a model (by exporting) which has some part hidden, the resulting model will keep the parts invisible, but as a part of the exported model.
2) to export a subset the user can:
a) change the preference when exporting
or
b) select only what it is needed to be exported

In general, as default, I would prefer to keep everything selected to be exported... but this is my opinion.
I don't know how other sw handle this option as default settings.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:09 pm this will break each automation exporting script, and it will add an extra step in the exporting process ...
In my opinion, it will not break anything. The same window could have the options already for everything. They can be also the same tabs as we have in the settings view. The user can use the default preset/settings or change them at that moment if needed.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:19 pm 2) to export a subset the user can:
a) change the preference when exporting
or
b) select only what it is needed to be exported
Both of you are right.

Sometimes I want to have invisible objects, sometimes I don't.

Option B is already implemented. It is just tedious regarding the design.

Letter A needs this checkbox available while exporting. Now, it could be a checkbox in the Settings, and then the Settings view could be embedded in the exporting dialog window.

Letter A is good for everyone.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

leoheck wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 6:41 pm
easyw-fc wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:09 pm this will break each automation exporting script, and it will add an extra step in the exporting process ...
In my opinion, it will not break anything. The same window could have the options already for everything. They can be also the same tabs as we have in the settings view. The user can use the default preset/settings or change them at that moment if needed.
it will break any automatic script...
think i.e. to the scripts to generate the 3d libraries of kicad... the scripts when running will generate hundred of STEP models, exporting the 3d object within a python call... these scripts, ATM, will automatically build all the models without the need to human interaction and this in fact it is done with a CI on a server... having to ask user's action on each exporting will simply break the process.
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

here the defaults for CAD Assistant
CADA-defaults.png
CADA-defaults.png (172.57 KiB) Viewed 781 times
Zolko
Veteran

Post by Zolko »

easyw-fc wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:19 pm If you want to share a model (by exporting) which has some part hidden, the resulting model will keep the parts invisible, but as a part of the exported model.
I tried but this seems false: when you export invisible objects and re-import them, they are visible again. STEP doesn't save material and texture properties, and doesn't seem to save visibility of objects. Therefore, the mere option to export invisible objects seems counterproductive, yet alone make it the default. There might be edge cases where this is useful – I can't think of any but who knows – but I still ask for making export of invisible objects as OFF by default.
try the Assembly4 workbench for FreCAD — tutorials here and here
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

Zolko wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:36 am
easyw-fc wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 3:19 pm If you want to share a model (by exporting) which has some part hidden, the resulting model will keep the parts invisible, but as a part of the exported model.
I tried but this seems false: when you export invisible objects and re-import them, they are visible again. STEP doesn't save material and texture properties, and doesn't seem to save visibility of objects. Therefore, the mere option to export invisible objects seems counterproductive, yet alone make it the default. There might be edge cases where this is useful – I can't think of any but who knows – but I still ask for making export of invisible objects as OFF by default.
This because FC ATM is failing in import back a STEP file with invisibile objects, if you try it with CAD Assistant of OpenCascade, the STEP file will respect the invisibility properties.
STEP format is able to save material properties.
Open it with a text editor and you will find it.
In general, IMO, every selected object should be exported and imported by default.
This is what CAD Assistant does with default option.
Edit:
would an editor move this part of a discussion to a new thread I.e. Step import/export default settings?
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Which posts?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs