work around for starting to white screen

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Mongooose

work around for starting to white screen

Post by Mongooose »

I have spent several days searching for a solution to FreeCad only going to a white screen when trying to open the program. I read lots of forum information but did not see this anywhere. Sorry if I am repeating known information as I was unable to find it.
It definitely is a problem with QT5 from what I have read and done, same thing happens in another program I have.

Anyways if you are starting to a white screen and you have more than one monitor change your display settings to only display 1 monitor. Then reopen the program. It will open on the primary monitor. You can move it to the other monitor again and it will work till you restart the program.

Mongooose
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: work around for starting to white screen

Post by Shalmeneser »

Can you give full details (follow the link in the red banner above) ?
Can you give a picture about this "white screen" ?
Mongooose

Post by Mongooose »

he full description is that when starting FreeCad you get the start where it shows loading several files. When it goes to full screen on startup you just get a white window that shows Freecad at the top left and after a minute or so will show as not responding, IE the interface never displays, just a white screen. I do have dual monitors and FreeCad had been working fine previously.

The problem appears to be after moving the FreeCad window to the second screen and closing the program. It goes to start it on the second monitor and will not actually load the GUI.

The fix for me was to go into display settings, then under multiple Displays set it to show only on 1. This then forced Freecad to open up on the primary monitor and it opens fine and runs normally. I then reenabled my second display. As long as Freecad only tries to open on the primary monitor it works fine. I can move it to the second monitor once it is open and continue to use it, but if I close it on the second monitor the next time I try to start it I just get the white screen. Repeat process on disabling second monitor to force it back to primary and it is back to working fine.

This started while using Version 0.19.3 (also happens in 0.19.4, and 0.20) I tried complete reinstall of several version and tested a lot with portable versions 0.19.3 and 0.18.4, NOTE portable version 0.18.4 works fine no mater what though, just could not edit any newer projects I had saved. I am not sure what version swapped to QT5 but I believe the problems is in QT5.

See below for screen shot:
White screen.PNG
White screen.PNG (84.05 KiB) Viewed 3464 times
Last edited by Mongooose on Thu Jun 02, 2022 1:54 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mongooose

Post by Mongooose »

The full description is that when starting FreeCad you get the start where it shows loading several files. When it goes to full screen on startup you just get a white window that shows Freecad at the top left and after a minute or so will show as not responding, IE the interface never displays, just a white screen. I do have dual monitors and FreeCad had been working fine previously.

The problem appears to be after moving the FreeCad window to the second screen and closing the program. It goes to start it on the second monitor and will not actually load the GUI.

The fix for me was to go into display settings, then under multiple Displays set it to show only on 1. This then forced Freecad to open up on the primary monitor and it opens fine and runs normally. I then reenabled my second display. As long as Freecad only tries to open on the primary monitor it works fine. I can move it to the second monitor once it is open and continue to use it, but if I close it on the second monitor the next time I try to start it I just get the white screen. Repeat process on disabling second monitor to force it back to primary and it is back to working fine.

See below for screen shot:
White screen.PNG
e12voltsdac

Post by e12voltsdac »

I have the same issue since FreeCAD 0.19. Same issue now on FreeCAD 0.20

If I use my second monitor for FreeCAD, then close the program, it will try to remember the window position on the second monitor and then subsequently will hang on start-up. The only way to fix is disabling the second monitor so FreeCAD opens in my first 'native' monitor or adjusting the starting position of the window in the registry.

I have saved the registry settings and I always have to reset the window position before starting FreeCAD. Here is the registry key location for window
position for 0.20:

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\FreeCAD\FreeCAD\Qt5.15]
"Position"="@Point(-1 -8)"

Looks like other have similar behavior: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... =3&t=64973
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

e12voltsdac wrote: Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:49 am
Mongooose wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 10:02 pm
Please add infos requested in:

http://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264

saying 0.19 and 0.20 is not telling person who will help you what exact version of FC you are using:

0.19 has at least 4 different evolution
0.20 has been just released but has been in developing state for some time so many version are around.

Plus Linux distribution sometimes have "their own compiled version" and even for Windows there are some different places where you can download packages.

So help us to help you.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

IMO this should be in the bug tracker, anybody knows if there is a qt issue for this? Seems like a pretty serious bug to me. Does it happen for both conda and libpack builds?
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I can't get this to happen to me on Windows 11 -- are you all on Windows 10?
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Your FreeCAD infos please!! Follow the IMPORTANT link above and follow point 4. (The other points are worth reading as well.)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

Hard to give FreeCAD info when it won't launch... (well, technically, won't "render"). As far as I can tell all of these reports are coming from people running multiple-screen displays using the 0.20.0 release, and possibly all running Windows. The reports I've seen have all been from users running Windows 10, though, and I can't reproduce on Win11.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com