Mesh export .stl issue

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leoheck
Veteran

Mesh export .stl issue

Post by leoheck »

Freecad is doing something pretty bad when exporting and stl with Mesh Workbench. As soon as I click the button to export it. The file browser opens, and it starts doing some busy processing. I still did not put the file name and did not hit enter to actually save the file.

After waiting a couple of minutes, I can hit enter, and it stuck again doing something busy but the file is not being saved.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 8fceac17628778bd0b2ba4c60bafd6494348ac08
Python version: 3.9.5
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Mesh export .stl issue

Post by chrisb »

Can you try using a different file selection dialog? It is explained somewhere in the Known OS specific issues.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

chrisb wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 11:26 pm Can you try using a different file selection dialog? It is explained somewhere in the Known OS specific issues.
Is there something new there, from this month, maybe? I use to export .stl every week. The File Export menu is not working either.

Actually, it looks like the file browser has changed. This may be the issue. Before the place that I use to change/set the filename was at the bottom. Now it is on top. And it is as dark as my system. Before it was as grey as default Freecad looking.
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I don’t think anything changed in FreeCAD, I run fresh builds every day and did a bunch of 3D printing on Tuesday with no problems. It sounds like you may have ended up with the Qt file browser instead of the system, or vice versa. As @chrisb suggests, try switching to the opposite of whatever you are using now.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

In the past there have been several complaints about the file dialog being very slow. IIRC the problem in these cases was that mounted network shares took very long until they responded.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

With this new file browser, the cursor starts in the input field. I can type the missing ".stl", and hit ok. It saves the mesh instantaneously. Now, if I click on the input file. Something happens that renders the whole thing not responsible. After a couple of minutes, the file browser disappears. And nothing was saved. I don't have any other related issue on any other software.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

leoheck wrote: Sun Nov 28, 2021 4:35 am With this new file browser,
What do you mean with new? Is it the native file dialog or the Qt file dialog?
I don't have any other related issue on any other software.
We use the file dialog as any other software does. A difference might be the number of files inside the directory you want to save to. How many files are there? If there a lot of files of a format for that a thumbnailer is generating preview images it can considerably slow down your system.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

It may be the native one if there are only these 2 choices since it matches the color of my window manager. The old Qt is not being used anymore. This happened all of the sudden. I didn't change anything. I don't touch Freecad settings since a long time ago.
wmayer
Founder

Post by wmayer »

The old Qt is not being used anymore. This happened all of the sudden. I didn't change anything.
Recently there was a change to support the XDG paths specifications. Therefore the user config file has moved from $HOME/.FreeCAD/user.cfg to $HOME/.config/FreeCAD/user.cfg
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

Oh, I see, that may explain this, thanks wmayer. But it does not explain why the whole toolbars were wiped out.

What happens when the user does not have the user.cfg or it is missing, or the path has changed?
It should default to the original config, instead of having something that does not have even the most basic toolbar items, isn't it?