ShapeBinder still touched after recompute

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
3d_model_guy

ShapeBinder still touched after recompute

Post by 3d_model_guy »

issue #4699

My goal is to create a box with protruding support for another body

1. create a Part, and under this part, I create two padded solids: inner and outer, where the volume of inner is slightly smaller than outer
2. create hexagon body.
3. create a clone of the hexagon body. In reality, I'll have multiple bodies with the same shape and have them placed around the box.
4. while active the 'inner' body, I create a shape binder to trace the hexagon shape of the "hexagon_clone" body.
5. create a sketch within the 'inner' body, and then using the "edge linked to external geometry (X)" tool to highlight the six vertices.
6. then use the polyline to connect each vertices to create a hexagon sketch.
7. pocket this sketch with 'inner' body.
8. select both 'inner' and 'outer' bodies, then make a 'cut' in Part workbench.

I now have a box with a hexagon support for the hexagon body like so:
Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (16.75 KiB) Viewed 2383 times

In step 5, if I select the ShapeBinder, and make Trace Support "true", I'll get an error message saying "<App> Document.cpp(3527): test#ShapeBinder still touched after recompute"

However, the pocket appears to work just fine:
1. if I change the size of hexagon from step 2, the pocket will change as expected.
2. if I move the hexagon_clone around, the pocket follows its X-Y coordinates as expected.

The overall behavior is what I expected to be, but there's this error message of "<App> Document.cpp(3527): test#ShapeBinder still touched after recompute" , did I do something wrong, or could this be a bug?

Thanks.

Freecad version:
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
test.FCStd
(46.32 KiB) Downloaded 54 times
Last edited by 3d_model_guy on Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: ShapeBinder still touched after recompute

Post by chrisb »

I can't see what's going on, but I have simplified the model while keeping the issue with the touched ShapeBinder. So someone else may find it easier to find the culprit.
The issue vanishes if I set TraceSupport=false.
Attachments
test_cb.FCStd
(12.52 KiB) Downloaded 52 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

The Placement of body "Inner" uses an expression. The problem vanishes if I set it to a fixed value. Looks like a buglet. Can someone please have a second look?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
3d_model_guy

Post by 3d_model_guy »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:21 pm The Placement of body "Inner" uses an expression. The problem vanishes if I set it to a fixed value. Looks like a buglet. Can someone please have a second look?
should I post it into bug tracker?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

3d_model_guy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:13 am should I post it into bug tracker?
I would have liked to see some more experts having a look, because it is rather cumbersome and I have the feeling that I missed something.
Bance wrote: pinged by pinger macro
drmacro wrote: pinged by pinger macro
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Test_cb :
* Transform hexagon :

Code: Select all

371.167 <App> Document.cpp(3527): test_cb_1_#ShapeBinder still touched after recompute
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:50 pm

Code: Select all

371.167 <App> Document.cpp(3527): test_cb_1_#ShapeBinder still touched after recompute
Thanks for the confirmation
3d_model_guy wrote: Thu Jul 01, 2021 7:13 am should I post it into bug tracker?
Please create a ticket and crosslink this discussion. And create a link from here to the ticket; you can use the bug tag for that.
3d_model_guy

Post by 3d_model_guy »

here it is: issue #4699
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

chrisb wrote: Mon Jun 21, 2021 11:21 pm The Placement of body "Inner" uses an expression. The problem vanishes if I set it to a fixed value. Looks like a buglet. Can someone please have a second look?
You can just set the expression to constant = 0 and still have the same effect or am I missing something? Seems redundant to also have the expression to set the body's placement in addition to using the shapebinder.
Snip macro screenshot-1d4346.png
Snip macro screenshot-1d4346.png (69.24 KiB) Viewed 2077 times
What does broken line in the dependency graph mean (as opposed to a solid line for the arrow)?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

TheMarkster wrote: Sun Jul 04, 2021 12:57 am What does broken line in the dependency graph mean (as opposed to a solid line for the arrow)?
It is a reference caused by an expression.