Dimension between two parallel lines

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Shlomo

Dimension between two parallel lines

Post by Shlomo »

Hello,
How can I give the dimension between 2 parallel (non-horizontal and non-vertical) lines in sketch environment?
I have Freecad 0.19
Bance
Veteran

Re: Dimension between two parallel lines

Post by Bance »

Use a construction line, give it a length, make perpendicular to one parallel line and point on line constrained to the other.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can select one line and one endpoint of the other and add a length constraint.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shlomo

Post by Shlomo »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:35 am You can select one line and one endpoint of the other and add a length constraint.
Thank you. This was useful.
It took me a little to realize that I need to select first the features and then apply the command and not the reverse :lol:
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

As Chris said, select a line and a point on the end of the other and then use the distance constraint,

If you hold the mouse pointer over icons in the tool bar, the tool tip tells you that.

Here is a screen shot, where the parallel lines are of different length and are at an angle to the two axes.
Screenshot_20210130_222707.png
Screenshot_20210130_222707.png (71.58 KiB) Viewed 8866 times

in this next example it shows how it can work on the extension of a line if they are not aligned.
Screenshot_20210130_223031.png
Screenshot_20210130_223031.png (68 KiB) Viewed 8866 times
note that in both screenshots I have the line and end point of other line high lighted so they are green, so that you can see what I had selected when I clicked on distance constraint.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Shlomo wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:27 am It took me a little to realize that I need to select first the features and then apply the command and not the reverse :lol:
You can use both workflows, depending on your Sketcher preferences. You may read about it in the sketcher lecture linked in my signature.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Shlomo

Post by Shlomo »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 1:51 pm
Shlomo wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 11:27 am It took me a little to realize that I need to select first the features and then apply the command and not the reverse :lol:
You can use both workflows, depending on your Sketcher preferences. You may read about it in the sketcher lecture linked in my signature.
Thank you.
Beautiful documentation!
/Steve

Post by /Steve »

I'd been using the construction line, make perpendicular to one parallel line and point on line constrained to the other.
Thinking there has to be a better way, Now I know there is, Thanks
hic

Post by hic »

Hi,

wouldn't it be preferrable to be able to fix the distance between two parallel lines? I think, that it would be more robust, because a point can vanish if I trim a line.

regards
hic
Pauvres_honteux

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

hic wrote: Sat Jul 03, 2021 8:34 pm ...(set) the distance between two parallel lines?
Ooohh how I've longed for that function!!!

I can not imagine that to be a problem to fix for the coding savvy person!

In the CAD-program I use at work, I always select lines instead of points for dimensioning since it automatically gives parallelism, i.e. no need for extra constraints.

If the lines aren't parallel (you automatically get an angle value) you just right-click and select "distance" and the lines magically becomes parallel !

Will you make a feature request for this?
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Sat Jul 03, 2021 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.