No Active Body problem (yet again)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
iplayfast

No Active Body problem (yet again)

Post by iplayfast »

I know that the problem is differences in versions, however, my current version .19.19... seems wrong.
In this old tutorial (fc 14) He has created a dice with the part workbench, then goes to part design, selects a face and starts sketching on the face.
https://youtu.be/uBKhBwSP_iM?t=244

This makes perfect intuitive sense, as the face is the body. But my freecad complains that there is no body. Can someone explain to me why the face isn't the body, or even the cube isn't the body? and how I would properly do this tutorial with a current version of freecad? (I want to see the face while creating the dots on the dice).

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.19758 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: c165edd52c7f06ac09f992e5b5bf1d37661a8c0f
Python version: 3.8.2
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/Canada (en_CA)
openBrain
Veteran

Re: No Active Body problem (yet again)

Post by openBrain »

TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

That is an old tutorial, as you noted. With newer versions (beginning with 0.17) you need to have a Body object when using Part Design.
Use this toolbar icon:
Snip macro screenshot-06c54f.png
Snip macro screenshot-06c54f.png (1.27 KiB) Viewed 2003 times
Once the Body is created you can drag and drop your Part object to be used in it as a BaseFeature.

Note: mapping / attaching to faces is no longer recommended as there is danger the sketch could lose its mapping if you go back later and make additional changes to the object to which it is attached.
iplayfast

Post by iplayfast »

OK, that definitely helps. Using PartDesign body, then selecting the face, and activating sketch does the same thing as what selecting face and activating sketch used to do.

So would a valid enhancement be that instead of throwing that error (which is confusing), how about when activating a sketch with a face selected, switching to partdesign workbench and doing the equivalent.

Or... change the error message to add the text, "Perhaps use partdesign workbench/part design body to do what you are trying to do"
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I think your quandry is a combination of old tutorials and the whole Part vs Part Design discussion.

When you create a cube or whatever in Part WB (and this took me a while to grok...) it can't simply be used in Part Design...without special considerations.

It is, at that point, (avoiding a lot of extra "stuff" here) in a Part container.

As I understand, the best way (most stable?) to then use it in a Part Design WB "operation" is to create a Part Design Body and drag-n-drop the Part into the body. This will create a BaseFeature of the Part. Now selecting a face of the BaseFeature will act as described in the tutorial.

I'm sure others will correct me if this is daft... :lol:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

iplayfast wrote: Sat Mar 14, 2020 4:37 pm So would a valid enhancement be that instead of throwing that error (which is confusing), how about when activating a sketch with a face selected, switching to partdesign workbench and doing the equivalent.

Or... change the error message to add the text, "Perhaps use partdesign workbench/part design body to do what you are trying to do"
Can't get the point here. If you have this message, it means that you already are in PartDesign WB...
How could the error message be enhanced ??? It's already clear. Maybe add '... or create your sketch from the Sketcher WB' ???
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

issue #4288
Better wait for the community to confirm before opening a ticket.
jnxd

Post by jnxd »

Reviving this thread because I hit the same idea, decided I wanted to try making the feature, and found this issue in the bug-tracker.

Currently planning for the message to contain a drop-down menu, possibly with some smart default based on what features are selected.
My latest (or last) project: B-spline Construction Project.