Merge Project command and Spreadsheets

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
JCR84J

Merge Project command and Spreadsheets

Post by JCR84J »

Hi,

To sum up this topic, the “Merge project…” command renames the Spreadsheet Label of the merged project (Spreasdsheet001, 002, ... ) but doesn’t rename the Data properties expressions which refer to the Spreadsheet of the merged project (stay Spreadsheet without any suffix).

Is it a bug or not?

The details are :

The “Merge project…” command of the File menu is quite fine to develop several less complex projects and to merge them after. And if you placed each other in a container Part it’s quite easy to position the merged project into the current one.
To my point of view, it’s very nice. But…

But, If, to be more flexible, you have included in each project a Spreadsheet, It seems to be some difficulty because the “Merge project…” command renames the Spreadsheet Label of the merged project but doesn’t rename the Data properties expressions (sketch and solid one) which refer to their own project and, at the end, they all refer to the original Internal Spreadsheet Name of this final merged project.

And even if you have the same “Label” names in several Spreadsheets with different values, It seems worst.

When I am looking to the Dependency graph, it seems all Data property expressions refer to only one Spreadsheet!

Is there something I didn’t understand?

Does anybody could be kind enough to explain me, in details, how does it work and what are the restrictions … of which I didn’t take care about?

I suppose we don’t lose all the flexibility of the projects by merging them!

I attach, to illustrate this subject, two very elementary projects (Initial current project and Merged project) merged in the resultant one (Test current project) make for this and the respective Dependency Graphs.

Best regards

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17.13519 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-17
Hash: 1a8b868018f45ea486c0023fdbfeb06febc1fb89
Python version: 2.7.14
Qt version: 4.8.7
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.2.0
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)
Attachments
Test Merged project.FCStd
(6.66 KiB) Downloaded 51 times
DG - Initial current project  and Merged project.jpg
DG - Initial current project and Merged project.jpg (54.51 KiB) Viewed 2713 times
Test initial Current project.FCStd
(7.87 KiB) Downloaded 74 times
Test Current project.FCStd
(11.36 KiB) Downloaded 50 times
DG - Test Current project.jpg
DG - Test Current project.jpg (31.12 KiB) Viewed 2717 times
eivindkvedalen

Re: Merge Project command and Spreadsheets

Post by eivindkvedalen »

JCR84J wrote: Wed May 02, 2018 12:08 pm Hi,

To sum up this topic, the “Merge project…” command renames the Spreadsheet Label of the merged project (Spreasdsheet001, 002, ... ) but doesn’t rename the Data properties expressions which refer to the Spreadsheet of the merged project (stay Spreadsheet without any suffix).

Is it a bug or not?
This seems to be a bug in the merging code. Please register a ticket for it, with a reference to this thread.

Eivind
JCR84J

Post by JCR84J »

Hi,
eivindkvedalen wrote: Tue May 08, 2018 5:55 pm This seems to be a bug in the merging code. Please register a ticket for it, with a reference to this thread.
I reported the bug issue #0003467

Kindly
JCR84J
koirat

Post by koirat »

Is this really solved ?
I got a part in *.FCStd
When I merge my project with it two times, the second and all next merged parts are referencing Spreadsheet from the first part - Originally named part without the numbers.

And yes they do import parts spreadsheets and change the names.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

A simple test file suggests that this is indeed solved (in V0.19 and V0.20).
Attachments
box-and-sheet.png
box-and-sheet.png (3.86 KiB) Viewed 1898 times
box-and-sheet.FCStd
(7.06 KiB) Downloaded 35 times
koirat

Post by koirat »

Roy_043 wrote: Tue Oct 12, 2021 4:34 pm A simple test file suggests that this is indeed solved (in V0.19 and V0.20).
Version 0.19
Open new project and merge two times attached file from. https://easyupload.io/jdm9pq
The spreadsheet on the first one will be dominant.

The bug is not happening when I change the name of a spreadsheet before merging new one.
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Your aliases: D, d, b and Length seem to cause the issue. I would personally not use single letter aliases, and certainly not D AND d. But since they are accepted in the model you would expect them to also be correctly handled by Std_MergeProjects.

Change the aliases and everything works fine. See the attached file.
Attachments
SplineShaft_new_aliases.FCStd
(30.86 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
koirat

Post by koirat »

Thank you for your help.
Pity the naming of single letter is not working, it is a standard in an industry after all.
Also as I have said when I change the name of imported spreadsheet before merging next one it is working fine.
Is there any console that returns a bug, how do you know it is a single character name that is generating a bug ?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

Actually I am not sure now. Trying to build a simplified test case I cannot reproduce the problem. See the attached file.
Attachments
box-and-sheet2.FCStd
(12.36 KiB) Downloaded 30 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

koirat wrote: Wed Oct 13, 2021 11:04 am Pity the naming of single letter is not working, it is a standard in an industry after all.
Also as I have said when I change the name of imported spreadsheet before merging next one it is working fine.
Is there any console that returns a bug, how do you know it is a single character name that is generating a bug ?
I think it comes from confusion with units (generally one letter) or confusion with Freecad data (x, y, z).