[Ticket #3301] Intersection container

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Pauvres_honteux

[Ticket #3301] Intersection container

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

Hi, I have searched the forum for a general intersection container but didn't find anything. Though I did find a lot of questions in the same region so to say.

My question: would you think it's a good idea to make a feature request for an "intersection container" that holds the result of an intersection calculation between e.g. a 3D curve and a datum plane(a point) or two double curved surfaces(a 3D curve) and so on?
The result of that container should of course be possible to use in/for other operations following it.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.17~pre.1513171293.28240a806-155.1-x86_64
Build type: Release
Python version: 2.7.13
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.2.0
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Intersection container

Post by chrisb »

Could you please tell a bit more about the goal you want to achieve? I have the feeling it is already all there.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Pauvres_honteux

Re: [Ticket #3301] Intersection container

Hi chrisb, the goal would be a tool the user uses to make an intersection which then can be used to what ever he/she wishes. Most likely as a start for a surface(intersection curve in space) given by two other surfaces or a plane through an intersection point on a 3D-curve given by a datum plane and so on and so forth.
Cross_section_container.png
Cross_section_container.png (62.8 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
In this example I would have made two intersections and then projected them into Sketch002 with the "Linked edge"-tool.
Linked_edge.png
Linked_edge.png (14.76 KiB) Viewed 2845 times
This sketch is in its turn attached to the datum plane. That is, when I move the datum plane along the red axis, the sketch follows and auto adjust itself. Then one would make a few of these, effectively ending up with an easy to change skeleton for a surface.

Sketch "Side_top_skeleton" gives the "Sovereign_tangent_surface_of_Side_top_skeleton".
Sketch "Side_bottom_skeleton" gives the "Sovereign_tangent_surface_of_Side_bottom_skeleton".

This stuff should of course go into a general "non-solid-container/folder"-ish thingie. I think I made a feature request of such a container some time ago, but that's another topic.
Attachments
surface_test_5.fcstd
(17.22 KiB) Downloaded 61 times
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:59 am, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the explanation, it gives something to think about for a while.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:34 pm This stuff should of course go into a general "non-solid-container/folder"-ish thingie. I think I made a feature request of such a container some time ago, but that's another topic.
I think the "Group" (blue folder icon next to the create new part icon) could be used for this?
Pauvres_honteux

@saso: that sounds like an interesting idea, but perhaps we deal with that in another thread?
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
saso
Veteran

Post by saso »

Pauvres_honteux wrote: Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:57 pm @saso: that sounds like an interesting idea, but perhaps we deal with that in another thread?
Well I don't know if its original plan was to be used for this, but I think it could be used like that... I am however not sure if there is much more to debate about it at the moment since IMO there are several things that we will have to talk about and make decisions in what direction we will go with parts, bodies, assemblies :roll:

As for your original request, if I understand you correct you are looking for something like the existing Part -> Section (make a section of two shapes)?
Pauvres_honteux

@saso, this "section" tool, if it can deliver a reusable point when intersecting a line with a plane or a usable curve when intersecting a couple of surfaces, then we have a winner!

Id est, the point or curve must be possible to use as basis for the next operation one whishes to do.
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Sun Jun 06, 2021 9:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

in PDN, make point using proximity mapping with side_top_skeleton and Datumplan-cross_section.
You can use it as an external reference, then hook that.
Attachments
intersec.FCStd
(18.29 KiB) Downloaded 56 times
Image2.jpg
Image2.jpg (24 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
Pauvres_honteux

@saso, I've tried your suggestion, but no success. Id est, my suggestion stays.

@GlouGlou, your suggestion doesn't work for the general case when the intersection change angle and/or direction. Id est, my suggestion stays.

I will make a feature request in Mantis tracker, refering this thread.

Feature request: issue #3301 Container for intersections

@admin; please remove everything after this post as i doesn't contribute to the subject. For the interested few, I've changed all "it est" to "id est".
Last edited by Pauvres_honteux on Sun Jun 06, 2021 8:58 am, edited 7 times in total.