Luthiers using Freecad

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
raspler

Luthiers using Freecad

Post by raspler »

Hello!
I am new to this forum because I have a problem with the Marz guitar Workbench. When I draw a headstock in Inkscape and then import it into Workbench I get error messages. The Inkscape drawing contains a path "contour" and a path "midline". The path "midline" intersects the path "contour" exactly in the middle of the vertical line. Always the error message: "contour path and midline path must intersect where the neck will be anchored."
I have been trying to find the error in my drawing for several days now. Can someone help me here? I have attached screenshots of my drawing and the workbench. When I open the import on the left, I have eight contours instead of one. I do not know what to do.
Thanks in advance for the answers.
Contour mehrmals.jpg
Contour mehrmals.jpg (214.65 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Freecad.jpg
Freecad.jpg (200.86 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Contour.jpg
Contour.jpg (589.79 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Midline.jpg
Midline.jpg (578.04 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
Transition.jpg
Transition.jpg (556.84 KiB) Viewed 1342 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Luthiers using Freecad

Post by chrisb »

FreeCAD's lines have a (theoretic) width of 0, and have no contour or midline or similar. So it is best to set the line thickness to 0 and remove all the other fancy stuff.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

without a file we lose ourselves in conjecture
a JPEG may give a clue: it only needs to have a cross section: the vertical line must be a construction line (in blue)
all vertices must be closed
the lines on either side must be close to each other, not just at the middle line
raspler

Post by raspler »

Sorry!
It is a SVG file.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

raspler wrote: Sat Nov 26, 2022 8:11 pm It is a SVG file.
That may be true for a file on your harddisc at home. At your home. The files you uploaded are all jpgs.
You will probably not grant us full access to your computer at home, so you can upload here an svg file for further investigation.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
raspler

Post by raspler »

Hello, papyblaise
I think you are right about the construction line.
But how do I draw this construction line?
My problem is that the marz workbench in freecad needs this SVG file from Inkscape.
I have attached the working example file and my self-drawn SVG file here. Thanks again to all for the answers and please excuse my english. I am writing from Germany.
my scetch svg.svg
(12.58 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
excample drawing from GITHUB.jpg
excample drawing from GITHUB.jpg (206.29 KiB) Viewed 1138 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

120 dof is unmanageable with B-splines I trace over (as close as possible) and it's better
Attachments
tête de guitare.FCStd
(25.72 KiB) Downloaded 10 times
tête de guitare.JPG
tête de guitare.JPG (18.17 KiB) Viewed 1095 times
raspler

Post by raspler »

Hello papyblaise!
thank you very very much for your drawing and your effort. But I think I expressed myself wrong. Converting the 2D drawing into a 3D object is not the problem.
The downloadable workbench "MARZ Workbench" for Freecad creates itself the template for the guitar neck, but only with a rectangular headplate as basic shape. With the icon "Insert headplate" you have the possibility to import your own shape drawn in Inkscape. The Workbench then automatically replaces the basic shape of the head plate (rectangle) with the own shape of the head plate drawn in Inkscape. And this is exactly what does not work for me. The shape created in Inkscape must have 3 paths. 1. contour 2. midline 3. transition. My drawing has all these paths but still it does not work.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

I apologize for having disturbed your system which works so well, and I apologize for having wasted all my time
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

raspler wrote: Mon Nov 28, 2022 3:08 pm ...
Ask the WB author that is not updating it from March 2022 If I don't go wrong.

As it seems that is @mnesarco you may even PM him, or wait if my mention will make it appear.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/