Recalculate subsequent sketches and their pads and pockets

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
eliasjonsson

Recalculate subsequent sketches and their pads and pockets

Post by eliasjonsson »

I made a model out of ~30 sketches. When I was done I noticed something was wrong, I had made an error in dimension in the first sketch. I corrected the dimension in the first sketch, but then the following pads and pockets did not change according to the updated first sketch.
Is there a way to make the rest of the model adapt to the corrected dimension automatically? Otherwise I am afraid that I have to make all the following 29 sketches all over again. Help much appreciated.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Recalculate subsequent sketches and their pads and pockets

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You probably see an excalmation mark in the tree view, which means that there is an error. An error menas that recalculation fails. And a failing recalculation means, that you still see the old state.
My guess is, that you have attached sketches to faces and are now facing the topological naming problem. You can try to reattach the faces which may bring up the same problem on next edit. Better: have a look at this page, especially the paragraph about creating stable models.

For further discussion you can upload the model.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
eliasjonsson

Post by eliasjonsson »

Thank you, chrisb, both for the welcoming and the accurate answer, my question stands answered.
Hope future versions of FreeCAD will be better at handling the Topological Naming Problem. For now, I will be spending the next coming days remaking the 3d model from scratch. Thanks once again!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

eliasjonsson wrote: Sat Jan 15, 2022 8:40 am Thank you, chrisb, both for the welcoming and the accurate answer, my question stands answered.
Hope future versions of FreeCAD will be better at handling the Topological Naming Problem. For now, I will be spending the next coming days remaking the 3d model from scratch. Thanks once again!
You're welcome. You probably can reuse the sketches, if you start deleteing the features from the end, ignoring the warnings. You will of course have to check them, but that can be faster than redoing from scratch.

We are all hoping that improvements on toponaming will be included in the next stable release, but I am afraid it will take longer.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.