Museum Work

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Bernardo

Museum Work

Post by Bernardo »

Hi all,

i would just like to mention here - if i may - that FreeCAD (19) has been extensively used for the restoration of one of the prominent monuments at the Pergamon-Museum in Berlin. Once the Museum reopens (sigh...), you can be sure that FreeCAD has contributed to the revised presentation of architectural objects way over 2000 years old. So many thanks to all the people who worked on the development of FC.

Unfortunately i cannot show any drawings here due to copyright restrictions. Sorry.
mario52
Veteran

Re: Museum Work

Post by mario52 »

Hi

here the virtual visit pergamonmuseum you can give the way of your work

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

The monument we are working on has never been in the exhibition / shown to the public before. That's why.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Bernardo wrote: Fri Jan 27, 2023 11:55 pm The monument we are working on has never been in the exhibition / shown to the public before. That's why.
Please come back with it, when it has been made public.

You seem to work in a team. How do you organize working together on FreeCAD models?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

I'm the only one working with the CAD stuff - I mainly work together with stone masons and my job is basicly to find out in which position each preserved block originally was. (We have about 45% of the original materiel from the core of the monument.) The main problem here is that all these blocks were carved by hand, so there are iregualarities to deal with which do not occur when you design from scratch. FC does help us a lot, because we can try alternative positions, without actually assembling these blocks, which would not be easy using the marble blocks themselves, since they weigh 500++ kg.

FC has also helped us when lifting replacement blocks, because we can identify precisely the center of gravity for blocks of pretty complex shapes, which means that the block will stay horizontally when lifted with just one hook and chain (no rope underneath).

i just wanted to say '*thank you" to all those who participated in developing this software by pointing out some usage of which people might not think of.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

what tools did you use in FreeCAD ?

have you created special macros that you can share ?

have you used one point cloud scanner ?
Please come back with it, when it has been made public.
+ 1 i'm really curious

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

Hi Mario,

i used just FC standard WB like Part and PartDesign, plus tools from the manipulator WB. No Macros.

A point cloud scanner would ideally it work like this: Scan all sides of all blocks, put them in some intelligent mixer, and get as an output every block in a fitting position. More close to the actual task would be this: you got one of these photo puzzles of 1000 pieces, where 600 are missing and the remaining 400 are worn, weathered, mutilated and broke. As an example, i show below 2 pics of a - well preserved - block.

It is obvious that scanning the block would produce a rather huge file, where 90% of the data is useless: On the second pic i marked in red the only preserved spot where the neighboring block actually had contact. This smoothed band extended originally to the front molding, and not much further. Its the only part that gives a hint for further reconstruction, apart from the outline of this side of the block. More relevant is the position of the dowel hole at the bottom.

Something else, not for the position of the block in the assembly, but for newly constructed replacement blocks for the missing ones, was the molding. I measured the profile by hand with the usual tools in a lot of different positions, drew this and made an analogous FC sketch. The profile itself did not consist of just arcs and lines, but of many transitions between those elements - so i used many b-splines. After converting the sketch to a 3mil plate and to a file format for machines, i had this plate lasered in aluminium at a mechanic shop, and handed it to the guys from the stone restauration as a template that could be used for working out the replacement blocks in a special restauration mortar.
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi
Bernardo wrote: Sun Jan 29, 2023 3:16 pm
yes very difficult ... watchmaker work

mario
david69
Veteran

Post by david69 »

surprising application of FreeCAD. I remember I've seen a tv report about the same topic but for Angkor Vat.

what is your feedback on the use of FreeCAD? is there something to be improved, created or may be it's enough?
Bernardo

Post by Bernardo »

What i like very much about FC - as almost everybody else on here, i guess - is the possibility to create complex / irregular shapes. Pure architecture software i know of (not many) work with given shapes that are basically regular.

Ancient Greek architecture - at its peak - was very sophisticated in its modification of geometric primitives. Looking at a Greek temple you might perceive column shafts as cones and are positioned vertically, entabulatures as perpendicular blocks and so on. They are not. You might look at these sketches (not from me) to see the the basic idea.
http://www.enzyklopaedie.ch/dokumente/D ... tempel.jpg
https://external-content.duckduckgo.com ... ipo=images

That's why i always feared that the software i used would not allow to cope with such complex shapes. FC can (but i took me quite a while to find out how).

What i'd like to have? A measure tool to calculate the length of an arc. I know there are web pages out on the web where such calculators are provided. So not necessary, but nice to have in FC.