[BIM] Create a bitmap-based window

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pmlee

[BIM] Create a bitmap-based window

Post by pmlee »

Sorry folks, I open a new topic to discuss the bitmap-based window. First of all, please refer to the following windows:

These are traditional Chinese windows. If you are interested in this type of window, you may google "traditional Chinese window" for more pictures.

As we observe these windows, we may find that these windows are made of 2D bitmaps. Hence, it gives me an idea to translate a bitmap into a window. If this flow is doable, we may create almost any type of traditional Chinese window as well as other types of windows. So, here is my experiment results:

First I select a 2d bitmap as follows:

Then I've created a window object based on this bitmap:
bird_window3a.jpg
bird_window3a.jpg (641.96 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
This example is so complicated that FreeCAD needs a lot of time to compute. I then choose a simpler 2d bitmap as my target:

This Christmas tree is simpler which makes it easier to create a window object. The result is as follows:
xmas_window.png
xmas_window.png (438.48 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
xmas_window2.png
xmas_window2.png (479.54 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
And this is the example to embed in a wall:
xmas_window_example1.png
xmas_window_example1.png (432.58 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
xmas_window_example2.png
xmas_window_example2.png (499.22 KiB) Viewed 1733 times
Based on the previous results, I'm able to convert a 2d bitmap into a window. Which might be useful or might not. It's just for fun!!
Last edited by pmlee on Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pmlee

Re: Create a bitmap-based window

Post by pmlee »

Sorry, the bird window example is too large to upload. Hence I only upload the Christmas window example for you as a reference:
xmas_window.zip
(788.87 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [BIM] Create a bitmap-based window

Post by chrisb »

Would you mind telling us how you transform the bitmap?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
pmlee

Post by pmlee »

chrisb wrote: Tue Aug 23, 2022 12:50 am Would you mind telling us how you transform the bitmap?
Ok, I'll make a short tutorial video. However, I can explain the steps in brief:

It will take 3 steps:

Download a "Simple Pattern" 2D bitmap. In this case, "Simple" means that there are not many empty holes or objects. You can refer to the bird 2D bitmap and Christmas tree 2D bitmap. The Christmas tree is definitely "simpler" than the bird pattern.

Once you download a 2D bitmap file, you may use GIMP to convert it to a black & white image. Or, you may skip this step if you already downloaded a b&w 2D image.

Import the 2D image into Inkscape. Then use Inkscape to trace this 2D image as the tutorial describe:
https://inkscape.org/doc/tutorials/trac ... acing.html

When you complete path tracing, you can delete the imported 2D bitmap image and save the path as a .svg file.

Now is the time to use FreeCAD. Just use FreeCAD to import the .svg file you just saved, and convert it to sketch and you will have a nice, beautiful 2D sketch resembling the 2D bitmap you just downloaded.

That's all I've done, have fun!!
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

That's brilliant ! Indeed a better workflow to create those lattice on window would be great !

There may be something similar ? Generative Design with FreeCAD

pmlee

Post by pmlee »

Actually, to create a window with a similar pattern only requires 2D sketch. If we can generate the 2D pattern ourselves, we may be able to create the window.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Yes, thanks for the tip :)