From FreeCAD To The Real World

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
quick61
Veteran

Re: From FreeCAD To The Real World

Post by quick61 »

normandc wrote:While you were at it, why didn't you also fix the broken end quote tag? :D

It's always nice to see real world applications. I'll try to post a little something I made not long ago.
Thought I had fixed that, but my slash went the wrong way.

Great, the more the merrier. I'm reworking my Z movement on my little home built CNC Dremel router and I'll probably be posting that next. Already modeled the SC8 Bushings I'm going to use.

Mark

This post made with 0.0% Micro$oft products - GOT LINUX?
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

After a small mishap with programming the oven while attempting to dry out a spool of PLA, the plastic got to hot and developed a bad case of the kinks. Needing to feed this through a Bowden tube, kinks won't get you very far.

To solve this, I fired up FreeCAD and knocked out this handy little device. Run the filament through it a few times and it becomes usable again. designed it to snap together, but just enough to stay and still be easy to get apart to start the filament between the bearings. Love my FreeCAD! Took about as much time to design as it did to print. Fast and accurate. Everything fit right the first time.

Mark

Edit - .fcstd and .stl files on Thingiverse
FilStr.png
FilStr.png (54.35 KiB) Viewed 11733 times
Before and after.

Pieces parts. Everything snaps together.

Pop the top off, lay the filament in and close.

Kinked filament goes in, straight filamsnt comes out.
NormandC
Veteran

Post by NormandC »

Very nice! :)
abdullah
Veteran

Post by abdullah »

I love to see these "simple" objects you design. Simple, yet well designed, real and useful!!! Thanks for sharing!
I am in the process of getting a 3d printer and... well maybe I get inspired!!
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Thanks Norm and abdullah.

@ abdullah,

I like to design things that have practical applications in the real world. That's one of the reasons I started this thread, to have a place that my own self and others could post these simple things as well as a place to link to bigger projects that have gone from the FreeCAD screen to "part in hand". :)

I'll have more than just 3D printed stuff once I get my 3 axis CNC router rebuilt. Just printed up a bunch of Drag Chain links and again used FreeCAD to design a cap for them to replace a dovetail closer bar.

Mark

quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

Had the need for some XML timing belt tensioners the other day so I knocked a couple out. These are "custom" units as they have an offset that is unique to the machine that they are installed. Simple part, but looked like a good example to use in a demo video.
CAD_Shot-8.png
CAD_Shot-8.png (211.28 KiB) Viewed 11326 times
The video is here - From FreeCAD To The Real World

It was primarily an exercise in learning more about Blender, (opening title scene), and Kdenlive, which was used for editing the video once OpenShot was found wanting. That being said, someone might find it interesting, and it does go along with the theme of this thread, so I thought I'd drop the link and mention it.

Mark
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

EDIT - As always, please feel free to post your own - From FreeCAD To The Real World - project here. All welcome, large and small. :P

Been a while sense I posted to this thread. ;)

First up is a set of Geneva Wheels that I printed out for a demo. These were made with the Macro Geneva Wheel GUI script. The Macro works quite well and the results transfer into the real world effortlessly. After generating the Crank and Wheel, I used the Involute Gear function in Part Design to add the teeth on the Crank Wheel, Pocketed the holes for the axials, and modeled the bracket and geared knob. Printed on a Smartrap.

Next up is a "proof of concept" I did as part of a larger project. We often inform new users in the Help on using FreeCAD section of this forum that as a rule, you do not model threads, and there are a plethora of posts asking about how to do it. As it has been stated, there are exceptions to the rule and here is one of those exceptions. Ultimately, this screw/finger-nut will be used in the design of a CoreXY table as a way to tension drive belts. The drive belt retainer, much like the one in the post above, will be modeled into the end of the screw and printed as one piece.
PSW1.png
PSW1.png (42.75 KiB) Viewed 11027 times
PSW2.png
PSW2.png (61.53 KiB) Viewed 11027 times

Mark

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.15.4090 (Git)
Branch: master
Hash: ac010de9c966b1b05c6a3b3f6fa0794cf9b89247
Python version: 2.7.6
Qt version: 4.8.6
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 6.7.1 (OCE 0.17 dev)
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

@Mark (quick61) Do you own a 3d printer (If yes, which one?) or let you pint all your pieces in a printe shop ?
quick61
Veteran

Post by quick61 »

bernd wrote:@Mark (quick61) Do you own a 3d printer (If yes, which one?) or let you pint all your pieces in a printe shop ?
Hi bernd,

Yes, I have my own 3D printer, a little Smartrap that I built from almost scratch. I did buy the initial set of printed parts, and the rest was off the shelf, mostly off of Ebay. It's the one in the video linked to in this post, (just below the pic). For as cheap as it is, it sure does a nice job. Those parts in the pics have no, or very-very little cleanup done to them.

Mark
jrporter

Post by jrporter »

We needed a flashlight mount for a Permobil wheelchair, so created this one using Freecad and printed on our 3D printer. New to Freecad but learning via this forum and watching tutorials. If anybody wants the files let me know. The mount is not too sophisticated, but it works well and plugs into a mount for a lateral support. Cylinder holding the lights is a little closed on top providing a tight fit.
Attachments
Light mounted sm.jpg
Light mounted sm.jpg (254.33 KiB) Viewed 9878 times
WC light.jpg
WC light.jpg (15.53 KiB) Viewed 9878 times