Boat hull design

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
pafurijaz

Re: Boat hull design

Post by pafurijaz »

tino wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:49 am @pafurijaz We made a lot of studies with boathulls in the german division of freecad forum for sailboats. if you are interested have a look at:
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 30#p298160
Thanks you very much for the info, but I really don't understand much in German.
I'm still studying FreeCAD and I have discovered many workaround for advanced surfaces design. this below are two images of this self learning path.

Greetings
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Very impressive!
Would you mind telling us some details how you did it?

I tend to split your contribution in a new topic, ok?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
pafurijaz

Post by pafurijaz »

Thanks for your consideration, but it's still very confusing, but as soon as I consolidate my workflow, I will share my experience, I have a lot to understand but hope to do so soon. 
I have already shared some tips here, and I will to do so on this topic as well.
pafurijaz

Post by pafurijaz »

After a few days of practice with the surfaces and the various commands I returned to drawing boats, this which is very simple is the result obtained with the new things I learned, now my workflow begins to be more organized with logical steps between the various Workbenches. 
However I have to structure even better some things like design planning which is still very instinctive, I still lack an established method.

This model, which is simple, is however one of the best results in terms of drawing and surface quality, with less use of commands due to greater knowledge.

Greetings
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

I like it very much indeed :ugeek:
very nice!
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
pafurijaz

Post by pafurijaz »

Thanks very kind, a little update on this

Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Nice!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
pafurijaz

Post by pafurijaz »

Thanks @Kunda1

I am consolidating hull after hull my knowledge with FreeCAD and I make fewer and fewer mistakes and start creating hulls with extreme precision, but I am convinced that I have other things to learn because with each new model I discover new things because I run into some problems.

These are two boats drawn by Howard Chapelle

The West Geenland kayak

The Chapelle's Dinghy

The Dinghy is very clean and is my best hull from this I think I can redo the whole boat with all parts.
eccioloste

Post by eccioloste »

@pafurijaz your work is impressive!
I am not a boat expert, but since freecad makes almost everything possibile, I have been trying to create a model of a sailing boat.
Unfortunately I haven't got the technical drawings to follow, but I used Joko Engineers' approach shown for airplanes, and I managed to create something.
sailing_boat.jpeg
sailing_boat.jpeg (117.15 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
I would enjoy having your impressions and suggestions on how to approach such a project, hints and tips to create the smoothest surface.
i will attach the model.

Cheers
F
Attachments
first_31_7 - Copia - Copia.jpg
first_31_7 - Copia - Copia.jpg (16.17 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
First-31.7_specifiche.png
First-31.7_specifiche.png (78.49 KiB) Viewed 3209 times
sailing_boat_rev01.FCStd
(264.12 KiB) Downloaded 68 times
pafurijaz

Post by pafurijaz »

HI @ eccioloste, you have done a nice shape, I'm still learning the program and trying to improve all the time, I have done a lot of experiments, and as previously mentioned I improve with each new hull.

Recently I have also improved my workflow a bit, and I try to use the basic tools.

I have started making some hulls with greater accuracy, and am trying to tackle various types to gain more skills.

Here are some of my latest results with FreeCAD, but I still have many gaps and problems that I have to solve.

This is mi first controlled result

A yacht design

And these image are from my latest one and is the much more complex hull with the use of DXF file and BSpline totally controlled with constraint curve and tangency
Greetings