Functional 3d printed headphones "Aculeata"

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jonnor

Functional 3d printed headphones "Aculeata"

Post by jonnor »

Made these headphones together with jewellery designer Marianna Brilliantova. They are functional, although I guess one might consider it more of a style item in terms of design and size :D But that's the fun thing anyway, to make something one cannot mass produced!

Apart from drivers, cable, and M3 screws everything is 3d-printed. Headband is adjustable with a snapping mechanism. Using some 40 mm drivers inside. The sound is clear but maybe lacking a bit in the lows compare to commercial headsets. Printed in Filamentum Wizards Vodoo filament on a Creality Ender 3 printer.

Designed with FreeCAD, mostly in 0.18 but changed to 0.19 towards end of project.

gbroques

Re: Functional 3d printed headphones "Aculeata"

Post by gbroques »

jonnor wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 11:13 am Made these headphones together with jewellery designer Marianna Brilliantova. They are functional, although I guess one might consider it more of a style item in terms of design and size :D But that's the fun thing anyway, to make something one cannot mass produced!

Apart from drivers, cable, and M3 screws everything is 3d-printed. Headband is adjustable with a snapping mechanism. Using some 40 mm drivers inside. The sound is clear but maybe lacking a bit in the lows compare to commercial headsets. Printed in Filamentum Wizards Vodoo filament on a Creality Ender 3 printer.

Designed with FreeCAD, mostly in 0.18 but changed to 0.19 towards end of project.
These look really cool!

The design of the ear-pieces give me an aquatic vibe, or remind me of seashells or a conch shell for some reason.

What was your design inspiration?
jonnor

Post by jonnor »

gbroques wrote: Fri Aug 27, 2021 10:18 pm These look really cool!

The design of the ear-pieces give me an aquatic vibe, or remind me of seashells or a conch shell for some reason.

What was your design inspiration?
Thank you!

You are right on the mark both with the sea theme and seashells. This design is actually derived from an design we made for a art jewellery competition in Norway about Atlantis, the city that drowned in the sea. We (Marianna) thought about seashell and how people tend to pick them up and listen to them to get the "sound of the sea". We considered several ways of realising some concept based on that, and ended up with headphones - since they are kind of a fashion object these days (Beats, Airpods, ...).

If anyone happens to be in Oslo, Norway - the original designs (with embelishments in silver) will be on exhibit in September. https://www.instagram.com/p/CScTTvZKvTq ... hare_sheet
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Was the outer surface of the cups modeled entirely in FreeCAD? How did you achieve that? Maybe some simplified tutorial/explanation/guide? Such organic shapes does not look easy to model...