Vila Matilde House, working with linked files

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
F_Rosa

Re: Vila Matilde House, working with linked files

Post by F_Rosa »

paullee wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:36 am
There are a lot to explore in this thread indeed :D
There could be a series of topics to be raised and discussed later systematically!
Ok, in this same post or in another one as an open discussion about the app link?

paullee wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:36 am Haven't dug out previous tests / tested how these Link / LinkGroup are supported in IFC export.
Would you like me to try testing this file?
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

F_Rosa wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 2:48 pm Ok, in this same post or in another one as an open discussion about the app link?

paullee wrote: Sun Aug 08, 2021 4:36 am Haven't dug out previous tests / tested how these Link / LinkGroup are supported in IFC export.
Would you like me to try testing this file?
Showcase is indeed not .very good for detailed discussion, maybe creating something like your "FC BIM Platform gathering information" in Arch/BIM/Draft forum so Link related Arch/BIM issues found can be discussed, bug found, features proposed.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge :)
F_Rosa

Post by F_Rosa »

paullee wrote: Mon Aug 09, 2021 5:19 am
Showcase is indeed not .very good for detailed discussion, maybe creating something like your "FC BIM Platform gathering information" in Arch/BIM/Draft forum so Link related Arch/BIM issues found can be discussed, bug found, features proposed.

Thanks for sharing your knowledge
So, it goes on at https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 46#p523946.
pdpb59

Post by pdpb59 »

F_Rosa wrote: Sat Jul 10, 2021 10:36 pm Stage 03

From the single file of the house, the linked files of each discipline were prepared, according to the description contained in the README of the templates available in BIM_#_Name_project_Templates.zip (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 2&start=10) and also to the following disciplines:
  • 00 - Files of MDC_2004 and initial drawings (figures 1, 11 and 12)
  • 01 - Architecture (figures 13-22)
  • 02 - Structure (figure 23)
  • 03 - Joinery (figure 24)
  • 04 - Doors and windows (figure 25)
  • 05 - Landscaping (figure 26)
Very nice project, but in step 3 I didn't understand how you link the files?
Peter
F_Rosa

Post by F_Rosa »

Peter,

Thank you for your interest in the subject. As I mention, the descriptions are in the template files of "BIM_#_Name_project_Templates.zip" from the link above. In the specific case you are asking, check the READMEs inside the files in the folders "01-PROJECTS_#_Name_project" or "02-BIMS_#_Name_projec".

If these do not answer your question, please let me know.
pdpb59

Post by pdpb59 »

Thank you, I think I have the principle.
I have problem with individual functions of the LINK.
I link a FLOOR with objects in the FLOOR via "Group with transform link".
In the linked file the FLOOR is shown but not the objects?
Why?
Attachments
v2.FCStd
(8.97 KiB) Downloaded 81 times
v1.FCStd
(21.91 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
group-link-01.JPG
group-link-01.JPG (422.52 KiB) Viewed 3871 times
F_Rosa

Post by F_Rosa »

Peter,

As I explain in "3. Using linked files - Vila Matilde House, 1990" (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=59192), I couldn't work with linked group or BuildingPart between files. Someone like RealThunder could explain why or how to us. In this case, a solution is select all objects contained in the floor or group and click on groups with transformed links. After that, with the created LinkGroup still selected, go to the destination file and click on "create link from selected object". If you want to keep the linked objects in this target file inside a floor again, select the LinkGroup and create a new floor.

See below your files with these solutions.
Attachments
v1_R01.FCStd
(16.18 KiB) Downloaded 84 times
v2_R01.FCStd
(7.6 KiB) Downloaded 77 times
pdpb59

Post by pdpb59 »

Hi,
but this approach means that I have a lot of duplicate objects and at some point it becomes a bit confusing.
To my students I say there are two types of objects. Subjects like walls and thoughts like first floor or axes and they should structure the project accordingly so that it remains clear when linking plans.

In FreeCAD I can link a subject or a thought. But not both together. Is there an approach to extend the linking?
Peter
Attachments
Folie3.JPG
Folie3.JPG (78.96 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
F_Rosa

Post by F_Rosa »

Peter,

In this topic, I can answer for the project I made using the linked files, which I do with great satisfaction.

But, for a wider discussion, there are open threads for more specific questions about linked files that might help you. Such as:

Link Group Usage in Arch/BIM - https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 02#p565602
or
Linked files and IFC export - https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=61108

I hope they are useful to you!
F_Rosa

Post by F_Rosa »

We can already perform camera animation together with objects in FreeCAD with the Movie Workbench.

To move the gate and glass door, I had to create simple copies of them (I couldn't use their links) and animate them with the Exploded Assembly Workbench in connection with the Movie Camera.

phpBB [video]

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=74432
Last edited by F_Rosa on Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.