Iso Thread and Nut

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
johnny85

Iso Thread and Nut

Post by johnny85 »

Hello! I use Freecad from time to time and I always have fun using it.

For a project I needed to create a thread profile and a nut. I tried using the ThreadProfile Workbench, but it produces too many polygons IMHO and as for the screw maker macro..it looks good too but I didn't need the head of the screw and I wanted the possibility of customizing the parameters like diameter, height etc..

So I decided to make a thread profile by myself, following the ISO thread metric pattern. I also added its nut.

You can download the project from here:
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1StVmuw ... sp=sharing

In the isoThreadParams table you can change parameters like the height of the profile, pitch, diameter and the parameters of the nut as well.

The model seems stable, I tried using different parameters from the iso metric thread tables you can find on internet, and the model always seemed to come out good. It's just a little bit slow, whenever you change a parameter and the whole thing has to be computed, but I personally don't care.

Feel free to change, make it better, and to use it the way you prefer.

Hope you like it and may find it useful for your next project. Have fun!
Attachments
isoThread.png
isoThread.png (54.95 KiB) Viewed 2959 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Iso Thread and Nut

Post by Kunda1 »

Maybe worth talking to one of the external workbenches that deal with threading? I cant think of which one it would be ATM? Fasteners?
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Easy customizing/adding new threads would be a huge step forward for Fasteners.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
herbk
Veteran

Post by herbk »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 7:29 am Easy customizing/adding new threads would be a huge step forward for Fasteners.
+1
Gruß Herbert
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Kunda1 wrote: Fri Jul 02, 2021 1:47 pm Take a look at
https://github.com/shaise/FreeCAD_FastenersWB/issues/64
That's something different. I want the possibility to create e.g. a bolt with diameter 12.5mm and pitch 1.9. Possibly even the angle should be easily configurable (60° ISO, 55° Witworth, 63.7° chrisb special).
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.