Raspberry Pi 4B

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
perot

Raspberry Pi 4B

Post by perot »

Hi,

I needed a Raspberry Pi model for a project the other day. Searching on the Internet, I found plenty of people are searching for exactly that, and plenty of people complaining that the few people that built one are trying to make big money by selling them. I found it surprising that I could not find any reasonable quality free models. Well, maybe I was looking in the wrong places?

Anyway, I made one by myself, and decided to make it available. It should be pretty accurate, as it is based on the 2D drawings available from the Raspberry Pi Foundation. It is not parametrized though, this may be a quality issue for some. But then again, it's for free! :-) This is how it looks:
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (404.19 KiB) Viewed 4089 times

As you can see, I did not bother with the chicken food (small caps and resistors), only the larger components are there. Should be a fairly exotic project that has a problem with that.

I would have included the FreeCAD model here, but at roughly 1MB it's too big for the forum. However, you can download the model from https://www.rottengatter.de/download/RaspPi-4B.FCStd. If you like it (or dislike it) I'd be happy if you'd leave me your comments in this thread, or what you wanna do with it, or why it's too lousy for your project.

Have fun!

Cheers Peter
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Raspberry Pi 4B

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for sharing! By cloning the HDMI socket, By resaving with compression level 9 I managed to reduce the size below the 1MB limit here.
Attachments
RaspPi-4B.FCStd
(820.08 KiB) Downloaded 97 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
perot

Post by perot »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:26 pm Thanks for sharing! By cloning the HDMI socket, I managed tio reduce the size below the 1MB limit here.
That is interesting. The second HDMI socket in my model ist just a link to the first one. I always thought a link is the more memory saving way, as a clone seems to have more parameters by itself (for instance it has it's own appearance data - which frequently gets messed up on cloning if the cloned object is too large/complicated). If clones are smaller, then still some more memory can be saved, because there are other items being links that could be converted. For instance the dual USB socket shield is a more complex thing that is just a link in the other dual socket.

I have noticed that a link does not allow certain operations (IIRC for instance the Part:Fusion/Cut/etc.). Otherwise I'm still unsure about in which situations to use clones as opposed to links and vice versa.

BTW. when loading your reposted version I noticed my FreeCAD gives me 15 times this error message (red colour):

Code: Select all

08:38:35  Extension is not a python addable version: 'PartGui::ViewProviderAttachExtension'
I guess you're using a more recent version of FreeCAD? This is mine:

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.23578 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 50c3cbf00579dc4941ca743c25720d016b0453ce
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: German/Germany (de_DE)

Cheers Peter

PS.: Hmm, this is even more interesting: When saving again directly after loading your size-reduced version, the file is again 26% larger, i.e. as large as the version I posted on my webspace. So the majority of your size reduction seems to come from more efficient saving code in your newer version!
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

perot wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:56 am That is interesting. The second HDMI socket in my model ist just a link to the first one.
My bad! I hadn't seen it was a link. The reason why my file is smaller is a completely different one: I use compression level 9. I have updated the post above, and the file is even smaller.
BTW. when loading your reposted version I noticed my FreeCAD gives me 15 times this error message (red colour):

08:38:35  Extension is not a python addable version: 'PartGui::ViewProviderAttachExtension'
I don't use the very latest FreeCAD either but 0.20 can be the reason for the messages..
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

perot wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:56 am

Does the official 0.19.2 (24291 Git) installation not work on your system? It will read most 0.20pre files without error for the time being and if you find a true bug that can be backported ready for the 0.19.3 then it all helps.

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
perot

Post by perot »

Syres wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:09 am
perot wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 6:56 am

Does the official 0.19.2 (24291 Git) installation not work on your system? It will read most 0.20pre files without error for the time being and if you find a true bug that can be backported ready for the 0.19.3 then it all helps.
I do not believe in continuous updating. I update occasionally, and if there is concrete cause. My installation is half a year old, which is not unusual (at least for me). I rather spend my precious time using FreeCAD.

Regarding "true bugs": I find weird behaviour all the time. A lot is ephemeral, which I cannot reliably reproduce, or may be due to my outdated video driver (Windows Update refuses to update for unknown reasons, the manufacturer's (Intel) driver refuses because there is a OEM-modified version installed, and the OEM (Dell) does not provide a current one :-( ), for some I have reported here I got told it is due to a OCC problem which therefore cannot be fixed (a rather weird proposition, as OCC is OS too AFAIK). Then again some is due to FreeCAD being used in a slightly off-standard way, which then is rejected by telling that things should be done differently (as if that would ever be a qualified excuse for buggy behaviour).

Here is the problem: The developing people are experts in using FreeCAD, they know exactly how to use each single function. That's why every one of them swears that FreeCAD is very stable. But look a newbie over the shoulder and you'll find buggy behaviour galore.

How about what I reported here (have yet to follow up on replies)? https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=59249

Cheers Peter
perot

Post by perot »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:26 pm Thanks for sharing! By cloning the HDMI socket, By resaving with compression level 9 I managed to reduce the size below the 1MB limit here.
I had actually thought the limit is at 512kiB, so that's why I did not even try to look for compression. So what is the 512kiB limit for? Pictures? Or is it the wrong value altogether?

Cheers Peter
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

perot wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 9:55 am I had actually thought the limit is at 512kiB, so that's why I did not even try to look for compression. So what is the 512kiB limit for? Pictures? Or is it the wrong value altogether?
According to the forum guidelines it is wrong. Where did you find it?
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:16 pm ...According to the forum guidelines...
Where can one find these guidelines, please?
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

bambuko wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 7:14 am Where can one find these guidelines, please?
https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=2264?