Filament spool holder with part workbench

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Tek3D

Filament spool holder with part workbench

Post by Tek3D »

phpBB [video]

Download files: https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:4881187
Tek3D

Re: Filament spool holder with part workbench

Post by Tek3D »

Not sure if the insert video function worked, so here's the direct link: https://youtu.be/T4A17KOzd_8
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I appreciate that you uploaded the FreeCAD file and not only the mesh to thingiverse.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Tek3D

Post by Tek3D »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 6:14 pm I appreciate that you uploaded the FreeCAD file and not only the mesh to thingiverse.
No problem! I tried to upload it here, but it said it's too big.
Mikeosaurus

Post by Mikeosaurus »

Nice!

Rod ordered, already have those bearings, printer printing :)

Now... do I need to print this... then fit it, then print it again with the extra quality it'll give me? :lol:
Tek3D

Post by Tek3D »

Mikeosaurus wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:50 pm Now... do I need to print this... then fit it, then print it again with the extra quality it'll give me?
Haha, if you get a few unexplained blobs, then maybe. I could hear my old spool holder bind up and jump from the other room on a couple of occasions.
Mikeosaurus

Post by Mikeosaurus »

Tek3D wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:21 pm
Mikeosaurus wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 2:50 pm Now... do I need to print this... then fit it, then print it again with the extra quality it'll give me?
Haha, if you get a few unexplained blobs, then maybe. I could hear my old spool holder bind up and jump from the other room on a couple of occasions.
Even now printing, it's like clicky clicky clicky as the spindle turns... This might be the best printed upgrade out there... as I've evidently got the filament feeding in a twitchy way.

Definite upgrade from using an old toilet roll tube 8-)
Tek3D

Post by Tek3D »

Just putting the spool next to printer solves the problem as well, but I didn't want to do that to save space. I like it up top and out of the way.
Mikeosaurus

Post by Mikeosaurus »

Looks awesome... now I need to find something to get printing this weekend :).

Pretty hostile comment on thingiverse from Stanley (might just be english not being first language), or that he's also got a bearing-based holder (with crazy text description... read the end for confusion!)... but I reckon this'll work just perfect. No more creaky twitchy feeding!

Will give it a try and see if there are any problems with unwinding. I wouldn't think it pulls so fast to be a problem, plus I have a feeder arm, so some slack for retraction should be taken up in that bit.

Now I just need to find an 8mm M5 for it :)

IMG_20210625_163834.jpg
IMG_20210625_163834.jpg (98.1 KiB) Viewed 4288 times
Tek3D

Post by Tek3D »

Mikeosaurus wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 3:54 pm Pretty hostile comment on thingiverse
Welcome to the internet, it happens :(

I did have an issue with a previous version that was completely free spinning, and it would randomly start unspooling. With this version I just snug up the collar to give it a bit of drag and it works fine.

I see there's barely enough room to use a bolt instead of a set screw, I didn't think about that, should've left more room. Are you able to get the spool nut over the bolt on the other side?