Wooden box with dovetails

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
KFMadsen

Wooden box with dovetails

Post by KFMadsen »

Hello Freecad Forum,
Some time ago I made a small wooden box with dovetails. Thought I would share... Happy to get comments on how one could improve on the design.

The box is made of ash and oak wood, with a plexiglass top and a red linoleum "floor". The Freecad drawing shows - as can be seen - the box in exploded view.

The box is handmade with dovetails made with handsaw and chisels. I am not totally satisfied with the result especially the dovetails (still learning...:-)- therefore I am thinking of investing in a so called Woodrat, which is a kind of router rig, that can make perfect dovetails, among other things.

In fact, I made the Freecad drawing after I made the box in real life... but I am happy that I made the Freecad drawing in case I will make the box again in real life (possibly using the Woodrat routing jig)

Kindly, KFMadsen
PS. As I recall the dimensions are aprox. 25 cm x 15 cm rectangle and with a height around 6-7 cm (don't have the physical box where I am situated therefore the approximated numbers)
Attachments
boks.jpg
boks.jpg (310.37 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
Eksploderet version af boks.jpg
Eksploderet version af boks.jpg (100.09 KiB) Viewed 4260 times
Kunda1
Veteran

Re: Wooden box with dovetails

Post by Kunda1 »

Nice work, thanks for sharing!
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Looks great !
lehol

Post by lehol »

Great to see a nice woodworking project made in freecad. :) Did you make it in part design or part workbench?
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Nice, are you going to share the FreeCAD file too? What did you apply to the wood to protect it?