call for screenshots - By Yorik

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jimmihenry

Re: call for screenshots - By Yorik

Post by jimmihenry »

I thought it would be nice to make a more advanced animation using the A2plus workbench. :D Computer Aided Design is something i really enjoy. I hope posting CAD models here is a little motivation for everyone involved in programming FreeCAD. Thanks to Obleisk79 for the A2plus workbench tip...

After starting a new A2plus document and constraining the degrees of freedom for the added parts, i altered the rotation angle in the properties panel for the wheel. All other constrained parts followed the changed position after clicking the update icon. All there was left to do, was to go to the main Menu, Tools -> Save picture... and make the screen shots. The animated Graphic Interchange Format (GIF) was made with GIMP.

The good old steam locomotive.
Attachments
Mr.Chuchu.gif
Mr.Chuchu.gif (719.5 KiB) Viewed 6280 times
Last edited by jimmihenry on Sat Sep 24, 2022 7:06 pm, edited 5 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Nice! Do you know that you can create the images rather comfortably if you know just a little bit of Python?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

chrisb wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 8:08 am Nice! Do you know that you can create the images rather comfortably if you know just a little bit of Python?
Thank you for your reply. All i know about python, it is a constrictor snake. I have no knowledge of programming! I have to rely on the tool that is given to me, that would be FreeCAD. And i am not the only one...
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

jimmihenry wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:28 am The good old steam locomotive.
Excellent! :o :)
mario52
Veteran

Post by mario52 »

Hi

good animation
jimmihenry wrote: Wed Sep 21, 2022 3:28 am Menu, Tools -> Save picture...
you can try Macro_Screen_Wiki Image

mario
Maybe you need a special feature, go into Macros_recipes and Code_snippets, Topological_data_scripting.
My macros on Gist.github here complete macros Wiki and forum.
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

Hi, this is a 15" rim the tire is 185/7, looks to high but it is not . Found the tyre profile online, seems its a off road rubber. Must admit the rim and tyre is not a good match... Well maybe for a Mercedes G500. I'd rather would change the rim then the tire. Designing with FreeCAD_weekly-builds-30486-2022-09-29-conda-Windows-x86_64-py38 went flawless and the geometries are clean, some time went by for the circular pattern.

My FX8350 CPU runs @4.1Ghz eight cores and the 16GB RAM is set via the AMD profile to round about 900Mhz CL9, no overclocking. It is not a slow machine!

Despite the aluminium alloy the GIF got "heavy", had to lower the resolution to 300x300px to match the size requirement.
Maybe i should hollow the hub to get the MB's down :lol:.

Cheers.
Attachments
1.png
1.png (219.28 KiB) Viewed 6125 times
8.png
8.png (130.83 KiB) Viewed 6125 times
2.gif
2.gif (966.58 KiB) Viewed 6125 times
j8sr0230

Post by j8sr0230 »

The joy of visual scripting! FreeCAD Nodes broadcasts objects in arbitrary nested lists with the power of NumPy https://numpy.org and Awkward Array https://awkward-array.readthedocs.io/en/stable. Contribute to the further development under https://github.com/j8sr0230/fc_nodes.
Attachments
FreeCAD Nodes
FreeCAD Nodes
FreeCAD_Nodes.gif (630.04 KiB) Viewed 5738 times
Codelink on GitHub: https://github.com/j8sr0230/codelink
Codelink on PiPy: https://pypi.org/project/codelink/
FreeCAD Nodes Workbench on GitHub: https://github.com/j8sr0230/Nodes
jimmihenry

Post by jimmihenry »

Hello,

i have a GrabCAD account, every now and than a visitor comes along. Artyom Rzhanov left a thumb up on one of my models, i followed his link for revenge and left also thumbs up. Taking a look at his models i recognized this awesome gradient, a beautiful gradient, a magic blue gradient! Yes he also makes FreeCAD models.

I got curious and went for a search on GrabCAD using the search word FreeCAD. Five pages with hundred models each was the result, maybe it is not an overwhelming result but not every one shares their designs on GrabCAD, other do upload STEP files. I thought it would be interesting to download some models and get some ideas how others are using FreeCAD. I got a handful of models a eyeball model among others and a binder clip. This clip was a STL file, and it was pretty ugly even for may rock bottom standards. Faces were not complete or broken etc. Luckily i have one of these binder clips, putting my calipers to good use i was confident to make a proper model. Other like the wheel i posted lately.

It was clear FreeCAD was shown as the program the clip was made with and this is a no no! Puts FreeCAD in a very bad spotlight i believe. You don't need to be an FreeCAD expert to make this model, even in a early development stage FreeCAD is capable to make this shape.

So i did take some time and made the spring. It is the main part of the clip, a spline and a simple shape should do the trick making use of the additive pipe feature. Than a view cut outs and some mirror features would seal the deal. Nope it did not, i did not thought this out correctly. Often simple shapes turn out everything else but simple :D . This one was not, only the proper tool was needed.

I remembered making the FMx-4 lifting body out of faces using the part workbench. This worked and turned out very nice, taking advantage of the 3D offset with the fill checkbox checked creating the clamp spring. The only issue i went into was, i needed several boolean cuts after the second cut out FreeCAD did not won't to make a third one. So i made a boolean union of the parts i wonted to subtract and than made one subtraction, and a mirror operation at the end. Done! In part design i took care of the remaining parts.
Attachments
Binder Clip Spreadsheet rev 3 .FCStd
(193.35 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
binder clip.jpg
binder clip.jpg (22.75 KiB) Viewed 5204 times
Binder Clip.gif
Binder Clip.gif (1009.66 KiB) Viewed 5204 times
Last edited by jimmihenry on Sat Mar 11, 2023 4:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hasecilu

Post by hasecilu »

Cool, I didn't know you can extrude an open wire, generally I only use PartDesign. Pretty neat result.

Some time ago I also made a wheel for one of those DC motors. It is available in the FreeCAD-library.
Attachments
Yellow_wheel_65mm.png
Yellow_wheel_65mm.png (258.63 KiB) Viewed 5183 times
FBXL5

Post by FBXL5 »

jimmihenry wrote: Tue Oct 25, 2022 3:17 am
There's another approach on the paper clip using SheetMetal: SheetMetal_Examples#Paper_clip

I'm sorry, but have no renderer installed and I have no clue how to scale down linked images to not waste space. :roll: