Threaded endcap for a pipe assembly (CATIA user getting into FreeCAD)

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ripper

Threaded endcap for a pipe assembly (CATIA user getting into FreeCAD)

Post by ripper »

Hi there,

I'm a quite experienced CATIA and SolidWorks user now getting into FreeCAD since their licencing models are, ehm, incopatible with personal use.
To get started I recreated some designs I did in CATIA in FC 0.19, like these two parts, an endpiece with an screw on cap for a PVC pipe to mount something on there (can't tell more at the moment).
Endstueck_FC.PNG
Endstueck_FC.PNG (121.25 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
Endkappe.PNG
Endkappe.PNG (222.94 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
Works well so far, only major thing I noted: the fillet operation behaves not like in CATIA.
Endstueck_Rundung_FC.PNG
Endstueck_Rundung_FC.PNG (615.12 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
Endstueck_Rundung_CATIA.PNG
Endstueck_Rundung_CATIA.PNG (430.87 KiB) Viewed 2733 times
It's no problem for me, since it is a minor detail. If someone wants to have a look into the file, I put it up on my Github:
https://github.com/regendrogenbogen/FC_test
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Threaded endcap for a pipe assembly (CATIA user getting into FreeCAD)

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for showing. So it is possible to start with FreeCAD despite knowing other CAD systems.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I believe this is one of those cases where it works better to add the fillets early, right after the steps are created. Then the vertical structures will pierce right through the fillets without problem.

Gene
ripper

Post by ripper »

chrisb wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 2:28 pm Thanks for showing. So it is possible to start with FreeCAD despite knowing other CAD systems.
Of course it is. Maybe it helps that this is already the 4th CAD software I'm learning. Due to that I know that the way something is done in one CAD system isn't THE way to do it.

GeneFC wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 3:26 pm I believe this is one of those cases where it works better to add the fillets early, right after the steps are created. Then the vertical structures will pierce right through the fillets without problem.

Gene
That would have been my approach too if it would be neccessay that it looks that way. In this case, the fillets are simply there to make it easier to assemble, since there are cable that need to run through the part and out of the slit below the thread.
Vincent B
Veteran

Post by Vincent B »

Try the make the pad after the fillets. :?:
domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

ripper wrote: Sun Mar 28, 2021 12:36 pm ..................
Works well so far, only major thing I noted: the fillet operation behaves not like in CATIA.
It's no problem for me, since it is a minor detail. If someone wants to have a look into the file, I put it up on my Github
Hi ripper, hello to the Community!

Agreeing on what chrisb said, we are very pleased (!) That some users of other cads (in particular of catia and solidworks) try to use FreeCad!
As I have said in several topics (not least this https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=56605) FreeCad, whatever the complexity of the modeling, is not intimidated, so I ask you to try to model the wheel of the steam locomotive with catia and solidworks to see if you get the same result also in terms of the weight of the final file.
As for your perplexity about the strange behavior of the fillet, I assure you that with the right workflow we arrive at the correct definition of the model.
I hope this will convince you, more and more, to use FreeCad and to pass on your experiences for the benefit of the whole FC Community and those who want to approach the world of FreeCad.
The final result is shown in the image.
Here the file that contains the new workflow: http://www.filedropper.com/endpiecenewworkflow
Good evening and good work!
Attachments
Endpiece_new_workflow.png
Endpiece_new_workflow.png (309.13 KiB) Viewed 2295 times