House Walls using Sketches

Show off your FreeCAD projects here!
Forum rules
Be nice to others! Respect the FreeCAD code of conduct!
AndrewA

House Walls using Sketches

Post by AndrewA »

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.23964 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: db9525e7d78c956df96dd6db2c52f20a50a2aa5f
Python version: 3.8.6
Qt version: 5.12.5
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)

After @Paullee helped fix an error I had made it was suggested that I upload this model to the Showcase, so here goes. The above version information is the latest AppImage version, I have followed the AppIage release since I started on this model in mid January.

In designing a house to accommodate a multi-generational family, I had mocked up some base designs in SweetHome3D
Sweethome3D_Mockup.png
Sweethome3D_Mockup.png (107.02 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
MockUp.sh3d

However the final design would need so room size tweaking. To do this I decided to use sketches with length constraints. As recommended on the wiki, I split the sketches up into smaller parts, linked together with external geometry. This also means that walls can be grouped by thickness and changes to the internal rooms change the external walls, keeping the ground floor and first floor the same size. However, some changes to sketches, like removing a line, change some of the names of other lines, which can break external links. There are also links to some external geometry of roofs and walls, eg for the ridge tiles. These seem to get the edges renamed very easily, especially when using another solid to cut out part of the wall or roof. If I was to do this again, I would look to find a better method do these links.

20210219Fixed.FCStd
FamilyHome.png
FamilyHome.png (16.97 KiB) Viewed 4798 times
Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike

My output is for a planning application so needs to be plans and elevation in 2D so I am using the svg output.
I use the svg output instead of the pdf, as the pdf output seems not to respect the line width or page orientation, although that could be my lack of knowledge. Also it can be seen below that there are errors, like bits of roof in the wrong place, plus I like to remove the joins in the walls, change colours etc. I'm using Inkscape to finish off, which is a little tedious. Hopefully by FreeCAD V1.0 it will not be needed. Below is the pdf export from Inkscape with no adjustment, as the svg files are too large to post. Still working on the finalising, I will post when I have a final output
Forum-Elevations-SVG.png
Forum-Elevations-SVG.png (53.53 KiB) Viewed 4657 times
Forum-Elevations.pdf
(66.45 KiB) Downloaded 100 times
Forum-Plans.pdf
(44.04 KiB) Downloaded 130 times
I hope people find this useful for their own projects

Andrew
Last edited by AndrewA on Mon Feb 22, 2021 6:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bernd
Veteran

Re: House Walls using Sketches

Post by bernd »

Would you post your version number which where used to crete the sketches?

On the FreeCAD I sit at, I get an error message, "The sketch is invalid and cannot be edited."

Version: 0.19.22960 (Git)
Hash: c5a4b01d2e4218bcc0eb6650337650a6c65ef0e4
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
Coin version: 4.0.0a
OCC version: 7.3.0
Locale: German/Switzerland (de_CH)
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

bernd wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:32 am On the FreeCAD I sit at, I get an error message, "The sketch is invalid and cannot be edited."
Which Sketch ? It seem it is fine here - Appimage git 23578 to 23964, on Fedora 30.
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

AndrewA wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:59 am However, some changes to sketches, like removing a line, change some of the names of other lines, which can break external links. There are also links to some external geometry of roofs and walls, eg for the ridge tiles. These seem to get the edges renamed very easily, especially when using another solid to cut out part of the wall or roof. If I was to do this again, I would look to find a better method do these links.
See some 'workaround' on the original thread in Draft, Arch & BIM Forum

BTW, you may like to add the Plan & Elevation which looks very nice on the OP?

bitacovir wrote: Ping
Good to post on OSArch ?
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

paullee wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 2:46 pm
Good to post on OSArch ?
Sure.
AndrewA wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 8:59 am In designing a house to accommodate a multi-generational family, I had mocked up some base designs in SweetHome3D however the final design would need so room size tweaking.
Can you edit your first post, including images of the mockup made with sweethome3D? This way we can show a full workflow from SH3D to FreeCAD.

https://wiki.osarch.org/index.php?title ... .282021.29
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project
AndrewA

Post by AndrewA »

I think that I have covered everything above by editing the first post, if not please feel free to give me a poke.
ragohix769

Post by ragohix769 »

Thanks for sharing! :D

This is the kind of real world project (architeture) that I like, and this example is really useful to study for anyone (at least I still cannot produce such a polished project and draw, congrats!).
I'll try to study your work and do some other realworld houses with sketches; I want to use 100% OSS like Freecad in my work (now I use Autocad, Revit and SKUP), it's very hard to switch from.
After #ElonMuskBuyTwitter I'm no more on Twitter, that's really enough :-(
=> Now you can find me here on #Mastodon: https://mastodon.uno/@opensoul - I hope more people do the same :-)
bernd
Veteran

Post by bernd »

bernd wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 10:32 am Would you post your version number which where used to crete the sketches?

On the FreeCAD I sit at, I get an error message, "The sketch is invalid and cannot be edited."

Version: 0.19.22960 (Git)
Hash: c5a4b01d2e4218bcc0eb6650337650a6c65ef0e4
Python version: 3.6.8
Qt version: 5.12.1
If the file is opened with a newer Version of FreeCAD the sketches opens just fine ...

Code: Select all

OS: Debian GNU/Linux 10 (buster) (KDE//usr/share/xsessions/plasma)
Version: 0.19.24246 (Git)
Build type: Unknown
Hash: 7149c80f81bfd1c2e384e4bb93e0723711c7fb62
Python version: 3.7.3
Qt version: 5.11.3
AndrewA

Post by AndrewA »

With a bit of work in inkscape I hope I have have fixed the problems and made it a little prettier.

In Inkscape everything seems to be included twice, once as a file and once as an outline, which all have the same thickness. Selecting an outline and selecting the same style all of these can be removed. The files are generally of different colours, so selecting the same fills, then outlines can be added in Inkscape of different thicknesses and the colours changed. The only tedious bits are the windows, where the frames are the same colour as the glass, so these had to be done manually.
Elevations_Combined.png
Elevations_Combined.png (283.05 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
I also exported the file as glb to get it into Blender, It was a bit broken. (other formats where broken far worse with no materials, which would make the windows very tedious.)
The main problems being selecting the walls does not export the windows, so each has to be selected separately. Also on import, various things are not in the right place. Generally the xyz and rotation can just be copied from the FreeCAD file. It looks like FreeCAD or Bender cannot export or import some objects, but stil transfers some of the information like the name and position. So in the Blender file I get what was called window001 named roof002. This only seems to happen with big files so it is difficult to track down and report as a bug. The Greenhouse was a different FreeCAD file.
Most of it was easy to fix to get
Proposed.jpg
Proposed.jpg (544.96 KiB) Viewed 4016 times
paullee
Veteran

Post by paullee »

Looks great !